Experience With Metronidozol Anyone?

Guest RosiesMom

Guest RosiesMom

Well, Rosie was boarding while I am in Alaska and she's come down with something that is giving her bloody watery stool. She even spat up a little. Thank goodness she boards in the same building as her vet(s). DH is picking her up in the morning if they will let her go. I don't get back from AK until Sunday.

They put her on fluids and Metronidozol, which I have not heard of, but my experience with this sort of thing is limited. I know it is supposed to stop the D but not much else.

Other than the digestive problems she seems OK - she's not hot and her blood work is normal for a grey. They are checking out her pancreas...

Please send some warm thoughts her way. It is crappy to be up here so far from her when she's so miserable.

Wendy

Guest Tenderhearts

Hoping Rosie feels better soon! :hope :hope :hope

My old newf mix came down recently with the same symptoms, and I honestly thought I was going to lose her.

The vet put her on the same med your pup is on, and she was SO improved after a couple of days.

She's doing wonderfully right now. :)

Guest momto3greys
Well, Rosie was boarding while I am in Alaska and she's come down with something that is giving her bloody watery stool. She even spat up a little. Thank goodness she boards in the same building as her vet(s). DH is picking her up in the morning if they will let her go. I don't get back from AK until Sunday.

They put her on fluids and Metronidozol, which I have not heard of, but my experience with this sort of thing is limited. I know it is supposed to stop the D but not much else.

Other than the digestive problems she seems OK - she's not hot and her blood work is normal for a grey. They are checking out her pancreas...

Please send some warm thoughts her way. It is crappy to be up here so far from her when she's so miserable.

Wendy

I have not had any experiences with that drug, but I am wishing Rosie get well wishes.

We also use a vet that has the boarding attached to the office and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Guest sweetpea

Metrodinazole is also known as Flagyl, it's commonly used for inflamatory bowel disorders. SweetPea had no issues with it when she was on it. I think it is metabolized in the liver, so if your dog has any liver issues, you might want to let the vet know about that.

good luck,

Buzzy

Guest jupiterooos

Jupiter has been on this drug off and on (currently on) and it helped him tremendously with his poo issues. Sending healing wishes to your girl.

Guest RosiesMom

Thank you!!! I feel much better after hearing your stories. Everythings sounds awful when you are a continent away from your dog!

Her liver is in greyt shape so she should be okay that way.

Very good stuff. Carolina had major tummy problems when she had hook worms. She was treated for the worms and was also given Metrodinazole to help settle her tummy back down. Haven't had any problems since.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest LolasMom
Very good stuff. Carolina had major tummy problems when she had hook worms. She was treated for the worms and was also given Metrodinazole to help settle her tummy back down. Haven't had any problems since.

Same story with Lola. She had the same symptoms while dealing with hook worms and parasites at the same time! Metrodinazole really did the trick. :)

I've used the "poop medicine with the big name" :rolleyes: many times and have had no issues with it. It is also used for mouth problems. Covers both ends :lol

Overdosing flagyl can cause neurological problems, and some dogs are sensitive to it and have had neurological problems from "normal" doses.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest RosiesMom

Thank you everyone! Rosie is back home today. When DH went to pick her up she had reached the "gelatinous stage" :sick so she was detached from her IV and sent home. By noon she was pouncing a stuffy! Hooray! :) :) I get back down to the Lower 48 tomorrow.

DS is laughing hysterically over the "poop medicine with the big name" (poop is tremendously funny)

Thanks to all!

Wendy

We have used it with Clay who has IBD. It has worked very well for him. You do need to watch for any neurological changes. With Clay we noticed head nodding and had to reduce the dose. Glad to hear that Rosie is back home.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

We've used it here several times. One caution the vet did tell us was that once the poop was firm we should discontinue the flagyl.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greyttech
We have used it with Clay who has IBD. It has worked very well for him. You do need to watch for any neurological changes. With Clay we noticed head nodding and had to reduce the dose. Glad to hear that Rosie is back home.

If you notice any neurological symptoms, they can be reversed in 24 hours if you stop the drug immediatly and get to your vet. If you don't stop the meds right away it takes about 2 weeks to resolve. Since he's at the vet, I would assume they are watching for side effects.

DS is laughing hysterically over the "poop medicine with the big name" (poop is tremendously funny)

Thanks to all!

Wendy

I call it "metro-whatever." rather than trying to pronounce it. :lol

It's apparently safe for long-term use, becuase Doc thinks my little Zoe will be on it for the rest of her life (IBD)

Edited by Pippin

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)