Are Grapes Bad?

Both my pups, a grey and a pit, pottied ALL OVER the house yesterday! The poops weren't runny but not that hard either. They have been on the same food for a long time and we have recently lessened the treats due to some weight issues :blush . I can't think of anything else EXCEPT we have a grape vine out in our backyard. The grapes are ripe and falling to the ground. Are they bad for dogs? I am not sure exactly what kind they are since we inherited the vine when we bought the house - but they look like Concord grapes.

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

I found this article...you should probably call your vet...

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians at the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I've heard that as few as 7 grapes can kill a dog... I don't quite remember but I think I read that somewhere...

Edited by caro

Guest longdogs
I've heard that as few as 7 grapes can kill a dog... I don't quite remember but I think I read that somewhere...

Unlikely with a large dog. Nugget used to take grapes from our vine - the bunches were high but she used to wait underneath for birds to drop them - and she must have got more than 7 on many occasions. She never showed any ill effects but I'd never deliberately give them to her.

Unlikely with a large dog. Nugget used to take grapes from our vine - the bunches were high but she used to wait underneath for birds to drop them - and she must have got more than 7 on many occasions. She never showed any ill effects but I'd never deliberately give them to her.

You are lucky, I believe the article I read said it was just a few and it killed a 70 pound lab who went into renal failure. Very sad story.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project