Question About Tick Panels Sick Greyhound

Does anyone anyone know exactly what strains of each disease Protatek lab tests for? Is there a better Lab to send to?

A friend has a very sick greyhound and is wondering. She plans on getting all her dogs tested, her sick girl Ria has tested positive for ehrlichia. Ria is on 3 IVs she is being treated with doxy, they started that before her test results were known.

Ria passed in her sleep last night. Thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts.

Edited by gryhndsr4us

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Protatek is the least expensive. Around $62 for them to test for e canis, babesia, VF, RMSF & Lyme. Those are the basic ones.

They do not do PCRs for e ewingii and bartellonosis (or however it is spelled). North Carolina does. The problem is that it takes awhile for the test and if the dog is ill, you need to treat on symptoms, not wait.

Sending prayers for the sick one!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

NC State is the best way to go as they are the most complete and accurate. Protatek is nice b/c they have discounts for Greyhounds... but they have problems with false positive test results and do not do PCR testing.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Heard from Robyn......Ria is not doing so good. Please pray for this sweet girl.

Ria remains in critical condition. The platelet destruction has subsided, but her body continues to destroy her red blood cells. She is profoundly jaundiced and her legs are so swollen that the fluid is dripping out of her skin. Strider gallantly donated a pint of blood last night and Ria finished it while I was there tonight. Not sure if her body will use or destroy it. Dr. Jeff gives her a 50/50 chance of survival if we can support her while we wait for Immidocarb and another immunosuppresant to take hold. She is now on 5 meds. including a diuretic for the fluid build up. She is not eating well, but continues to drink. I spent 3 hours last night just sitting in her kennel petting her and praying. Tonight my physical therapist friend came to the vet. and we kicked around ideas for some type of compression stockings for her legs. Gail is going to try to find something we can use. Wish I had better news. The light at the end of that tunnel grew dim again.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Sending lots of prayers. How about an acupuncture vet?

It sounds like she is too critical right now to pursue acupuncture. I am a big fan of acupuncture, but it doesn't sound like she is stable enough to be leaving the hospital.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

No news on Ria.

I'm sure that means she's still holding on. Our Vet is closed on Sunday so I'm not sure if Robyn will be able to visit her today. I'm sure on Monday after work she will, and then I'll get an update.

Thank you to all who are praying for Ria I'm sure it's helping.

Edited because I can't type this morning.

Edited by gryhndsr4us