New Foster With Balance Issues?

Guest LovesDoggies

Guest LovesDoggies

Last Saturday, I received the sweetest brindle boy. He is a love and a very heavy leaner. The more time I spend with him, the more I notice he has some balance issues. Sometimes, if he lifts his leg to do his business, he'll have to put his leg back down again to catch his balance. He is a very tall, lanky and much too thin boy, so it almost seems like he's not built up enough to handle his height. Could that be all it is? I also noticed with the leaning, that if I stepped to the side, he would almost fall over, so now I'm wondering if he only leans to support himself. Often, he is walking around with no problem, but sometimes his back legs will kind of dip down so that he almost touches the ground, but does not. Also, when he's running in the backyard, he really can't take a corner without that happening with his back legs.

Should I be worried? Has anyone seen this before?

Guest LovesDoggies
How old is he? How skinny?

Yes, thank you. I meant to mention his age. He will be 2 on 11/19, so it's definitely not age related. There are some pictures of him here:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1371941

You can't tell how thin he is in the pictures, and it is hard to describe. He came straight from the track, so probably as thin as you would expect at the track. I think he could really bulk up quite a bit more though. He is really very tall too.

Often, he is walking around with no problem, but sometimes his back legs will kind of dip down so that he almost touches the ground

I wouldn't think this is normal in a healthy 2 year old...I don't know if they can get LS at such a young age, but I would think there is something not quite right there...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest LovesDoggies
Often, he is walking around with no problem, but sometimes his back legs will kind of dip down so that he almost touches the ground

I wouldn't think this is normal in a healthy 2 year old...I don't know if they can get LS at such a young age, but I would think there is something not quite right there...

I'm sorry, but what does LS stand for? [something] syndrome? I don't know if I am doing so well at explaining how it appears to me, but even still there does seem to be a "disconnect" between the front and back of his body. He just seems to not have total control of his back legs. Could it be neurological? And, if it is, would they have had him race this way.

Now, I'm getting more worried, but I am also wondering if I'm perceiving it as much worse than it is.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Get a tick panel done on him. If you can walk him a mile a day it would be good :)

He's only off the track a few weeks and he is a baby. Could be a lot of things, growing up is one of them.

Is he a big boy? How much does he weigh and how tall is he?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest SusanP

Well, it sounds like they decided not to race him anymore, and perhaps this has something to do with that. I would be taking my guys to a vet if they did this. But I'm guessing a diagnosis for something like this could get complicated and expensive?

Guest LovesDoggies
He only had 8 races and didn't fare very well, he may have had something going on then....did he have a full workup?

Uggh! Unfortunately, I have no idea. I have no paperwork on him yet. He is scheduled to go to his family on Tuesday and is going to be neutered on Wednesday. If anyone was aware of a problem, then no one brought it to my group's attention.

He is a very big boy. That was actually his call name - Big Boy :) I have no idea how much he weighs, but I would say he is at least an inch taller than my big boy!!! Yet, no where near the body mass.

Another way I could describe his behavior is that he is very uncoordinated and clumsy. It just doesn't seem right, compared to my other two who are graceful and super powerful, yet he appears to be in no discomfort at all, which is why I was thinking maybe he just needs to beef up.

Did I mention that he is a super-sweetheart who roached and roo'd after just two days?????? I love this boy already. If he needs to go to the vet, I will take him. I am just trying to get some opinions here first, as I tend to be too quick to go to the vet sometimes.

The needing to put his leg down when peeing and the falling over when he's been leaning don't seem out of the ordinary to me at all. If it were that alone, I would say not to worry. The other issue you are describing is a bit more unusual. How often does that happen?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

To see if it's neurological, put the toes of his back foot on the ground (like a ballerina) while he's standing. If he doesn't quickly fix his paw so the pads are down, it means something is wrong neurologically.

My 5 year old Cricket has incoordination and hind-end weakness. We've done an MRI, spinal tap, and she's been on Prednisone for a little over a year. We just chatted with the neurologist on Wednesday and are resending blood to North carolina. He thinks there could be a possibility of an emerging tick-borne disease bartonella. I'm actually crossing my fingers and hoping for a TBD -- it sounds easier to treat than the other possibilities -- autoimmune disorder or cancer. We did put her on two weeks of doxycycline when she first had her trouble too.

I hope Big Boy's situation is easier to solve.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest LovesDoggies
To see if it's neurological, put the toes of his back foot on the ground (like a ballerina) while he's standing. If he doesn't quickly fix his paw so the pads are down, it means something is wrong neurologically.

My 5 year old Cricket has incoordination and hind-end weakness. We've done an MRI, spinal tap, and she's been on Prednisone for a little over a year. We just chatted with the neurologist on Wednesday and are resending blood to North carolina. He thinks there could be a possibility of an emerging tick-borne disease bartonella. I'm actually crossing my fingers and hoping for a TBD -- it sounds easier to treat than the other possibilities -- autoimmune disorder or cancer. We did put her on two weeks of doxycycline when she first had her trouble too.

I hope Big Boy's situation is easier to solve.

I have a small update on Big Boy, who I was actually calling Bruce. He went to the e-vet last Friday night after taking a tumble in my kitchen. The e-vet prescribed Doxycycline and Rimadyl. He did not think it was neurological. He did the ballerina test mentioned by Aerosmom, and Bruce immediately put his foot back down. He saw no signs of any pain whatsoever along his spine. I kept him for the weekend, but had to let him go back to the group on Sunday afternoon so that they could take him to another vet during the week. His balance/walking did not improve over the weekend. Since then, Bruce has been to two additional drs., the latest was a grey savvy vet in Mass. Bruce's bloodwork came back completely normal. They said his balance seemed somewhat improved. Bruce is going to a neurologist today and will be spending a few days there.

I'm sure he will get better. He is a very young and happy boy. I just wanted to update everyone who was so kind to respond to my original post and also to share this odd presentation, yet to be diagnosed . . . .

It's just one thought, but have they checked for an ear infection, just in case that could be affecting balance? Is that what the vet prescribed the antibiotic for?

Guest LovesDoggies
It's just one thought, but have they checked for an ear infection, just in case that could be affecting balance? Is that what the vet prescribed the antibiotic for?

Yes, the second vet checked for an ear infection, but both ears were fine. The e-vet did not check his ears, which is odd because I have read that could cause balance/gait issues. The e-vet prescribed antibiotics in the event Bruce has a TBD.

He is also on a few additional medications now.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Your guy raced at 78lbs, so he is, indeed a big boy :)

If I understand you right, he's dropping his hocks? Could be some sort of race injury. You can try massaging the tendon that runs down the back and see if that helps.

One other thing, since he raced in Mass, you can get an injury report. Mass tracks are required to submit paperwork for EVERY injury (including small ones like scrapes and splinters), so if he had a career-ending injury, you can find out. I can't remember to whom they report. I want to say its Agriculture, but that may not be right. Perhaps someone else here knows.

He's only off the track a few weeks and he is a baby. Could be a lot of things, growing up is one of them.

:nod

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest LovesDoggies

If I understand you right, he's dropping his hocks? Could be some sort of race injury. You can try massaging the tendon that runs down the back and see if that helps.

Oh, I didn't notice that he raced at 78! Thank you for pointing that out. I think they weighed him at 70 at the e-vet???? I'll have to check this.

I don't think my initial descriptions were as thorough as they could have been. He got progressively worse over the course of a few days. First, it seemed just like a balance issue, but by Friday night his gait was not normal. I believe they call it a drunken gait. I don't recall the terms the e-vet used, but basically, he was favoring his front legs, and seemed not to have control of his back legs (paralysis to some extent.) At times, he also seemed like he was walking like you'd walk if one of your feet fell asleep.

He is such a wonderful boy. I grew very attached to him because he was so special and sweet, but then when he started to have these problems, I really started to worry for him. Now, I miss him, but I know he will get better, and that it's best for him to go on to a forever home (that is not mine :crying:crying:crying.)

Guest LovesDoggies

I'm sorry, but how do you know his racing weight? I thought you found on greydata, but I didn't see it there. I'd like to look up my boy Bello Butch's racing weight. He is also a big boy, but not in height, just in muscle/body mass.

Also, I will mention that to my group about the injury reports. My group has a very good relationship with this track, so I'm guessing they would automatically provide the reports with the adoption papers? I will check though. Thanks!

I'm sorry, but how do you know his racing weight? I thought you found on greydata, but I didn't see it there. I'd like to look up my boy Bello Butch's racing weight. He is also a big boy, but not in height, just in muscle/body mass.

Also, I will mention that to my group about the injury reports. My group has a very good relationship with this track, so I'm guessing they would automatically provide the reports with the adoption papers? I will check though. Thanks!

I did get the info from Greyhound Data. If the weight is not listed on the dog's pedigree, you can get it by opening up the race lines. The weight is in kilograms, so you've got to convert it. Bello Butch's is there on his pedigree - 73lbs. :)

And no, the tracks typically don't give out injury reports as a matter of course. They're far too cumbersome and there's no way they could manage that with every dog going out to adoption. I'll dig through my emails and see if I can find the proper channels for you.

As for the weird gait...huh. Sounds like a neurological thing - perhaps a pinched nerve or something pressing the spine? Looks like they'd try him on pred to see if it would help.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest LovesDoggies

I did get the info from Greyhound Data. If the weight is not listed on the dog's pedigree, you can get it by opening up the race lines. The weight is in kilograms, so you've got to convert it. Bello Butch's is there on his pedigree - 73lbs. :)

And no, the tracks typically don't give out injury reports as a matter of course. They're far too cumbersome and there's no way they could manage that with every dog going out to adoption. I'll dig through my emails and see if I can find the proper channels for you.

As for the weird gait...huh. Sounds like a neurological thing - perhaps a pinched nerve or something pressing the spine? Looks like they'd try him on pred to see if it would help.

Ahhhhh! Kilograms . . . thank you.

And, yes, the second vet added prednisone. He showed no signs of being in pain at all, which also doesn't help much toward diagnosis . . .

Well, you wouldn't necessarily see pain if sensation is being cut off, know what I mean? And if there's swelling in the spine, the pred might counteract it. There's a disease most often found in doberman's called Wobblers Syndrome - I don't know if greyhounds get it at all, but something to consider anyway. Wobblers dogs don't seem to be in pain, irrc, but they cannot move properly due to a neurological defect. At any rate, since he's in the care of a neurologist, I'm sure he'll get a very thorough work-up.

Also, I don't think anyone defined LS for you - it's lumbosacral stenosis, also known as cauda equina syndrome. Basically, it's a narrowing of the spinal canal in the lumbosacral area which causes nerve impingement and pain. It tends to be progressive in nature, so you may start out with limping and in its later stages the dog will be very painful and may lose bladder and bowel control. It may be controlled with a steroid injection to the LS area (using depo-medrol), but not every dog will respond. I've never heard of a 2 y/o being DXed with it - it's usually an older dog's disease, but there is someone on this board who had a greyhound diagnosed at 4 with LS.

Keep us posted on Big Boy!

Have they considered FCE? It comes on suddenly so it somewhat doesn't sound like it is (since you say it got worse over a few days)...but anything is possible. :dunno

Thanks for the update. :goodluck:hope