Ingrown Hairs?

Guest Kitty_cat

Guest Kitty_cat

Are these ingrown hairs? Whatever it is doens't bug him at all. The black stuff is just below the surface of the skin, so with just a bit of scratching (on my part) the black stuff is exposed, it's either a soft black hair or a mushy black substance, what are these?? He's had the patch since we've adopted him a week ago. In the first pic the stuffy's nose points to the affected area.

Stewie_s_skin_condition_007.sized.jpg

Stewie_s_skin_condition_001.sized.jpg

Stewie_s_skin_condition_006.sized.jpg

Stewie_and_Catherine_001.sized.jpg

Edited by Kitty_cat

Blackheads. Fairly common. You can soften them up a bit by laying a warm (not hot) cloth on for a few minutes, then scrub gently with something like Nolvasan solution. Sometimes they go away on their own.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I like the creative use of the stuffy nose to point out the black spots :lol -- As far as I can tell, they are blackheads. They will eventually go away, but some people pick at them. Cricket had some when we first got her and we would soak them with a warm washcloth, but I didn't have the heart to pick and squeeze.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest BlackandBrindle

Those look like black heads, which is pretty common in greys.

If you put warm compresses on them, and gently wipe at the stuff, eventually you can get them to go away. (So I've read, I haven't had any issues with them personally)

blackheads, our first grey had a very, very thick patch of them, we used warm compresses and a vet tech worked some out during one of his dental cleanings, and now three years later there are only a few left

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Diesel's belly was covered with them when he first came here a couple years ago. We did the warm compresses and squeezed lightly. They came out (EEEW nasty black stuff....) and have never come back. His belly is nice, pink and smooth now. :)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Oh how I miss the days when I got to squeeze greyhound blackheads :blush I know I'm gross, but I also know I'm not the only one on GT that likes to do it! :lol

When Tori came off the track I would squeeze them for a little bit each night and they were gone in no time. Didn't bother her at all - many times she fell asleep! Once they were gone they didn't come back.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)