Please Help With Any Thoughts...

Guest Nutmeg1

A little history...

Scooter has been diagnosed with epilepsy and is on potassium bromide and phenobarbital. We recently had to up his dose of both because he was continuing to have seizures. He has been on this higher dose for over a month. He has terrible side effects from it, like excessive water drinking, acting drunk, bumping into things and lack of muscular control in his hindquarters. Four nights ago he stopped waking me up to go out to urinate, which he did at least 3 times a night, and he began urinating in the bed. Mind you, he sleeps with us. Could this be a lack of motor control or something of the sort? I have him at the vet today, but I wanted to see what some of you thought. Any ideas?

I have no ideas for you, sorry but just wanted to send some good thoughts your way!

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Thirst and the resulting need to urinate are common with Pb.

Have you tried maybe restricting his water at night before bed?

I hope the vet has some helpful ideas for you!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

How long has he been on the meds? My friend's GSD experienced similar symptoms when he first started anti-seizure meds (he only takes one of the two you mentioned and for the life of me, I can't remember which - I want to say he's only on phenobarbitol). Anyway, it took a while for them to get his meds just right and he's now no longer showing side effects. Hope you can get it figured out quickly!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

The drinking and the general clumsiness and weakness--ataxia--are pretty much classic side effects of both of those anti-epileptic drugs, as is the frequent peeing. Piper takes both Pb and KBr and has experienced the same problems. In general KBr seems to cause more ataxia than Pb alone. On the other hand, that drug combination tends to give good seizure control for many dogs. What a trade off.

In terms of the ataxia, Piper did eventually improve. It seemed as if his body finally adjusted to the meds a bit and, while he was still pretty clumsy, he didn't fall as often or struggle so to get up from lying down. It took several months (4-5) though or that to happen.

If the increased dose of meds is giving better seizure control, you might want to give it a bit longer to see if some of the side effects diminish after an adjustment period. In terms of protecting your bed, you might try a belly band with an absorbent insert or perhaps using those flat pads that incontinent people sleep on under your pup at night.

I must say that in my opinion, the muscle weakness that causes ataxia can also cause some problems with dripping urine, urinating while sleeping, and some general elimination issues. That certainly proved true for Piper. After all, bowel and bladder control involve muscles and those muscles can be weakened as a side effect of meds just as leg muscles can. Piper, for instance, just can't wait very long if he needs to potty. He's got to go pretty much right away. That meant he'd potty in the house if there was no one home to let him out. I finally resolved that with a dog door, but you get the drift--he can't hold. Your Scooter may be experiencing something similar.

Furthermore, Piper did eventually reach a point where his side effects increased rather dramatically over a couple of months--without any change in the dosage of the meds or in the level of the meds in his blood. We eventually had to reduce the KBr and add a 3rd medication. I mention that mostly by way of saying that managing seizures and the meds for them is an ongoing project for you and your vet and perhaps a veterinary neurologist. If you haven't yet found these resources on the web< I'll share them with you now...

canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com

canine-epilepsy.com

canine-epilepsy.net

Hope this helps some. Lucy and epi Piper (almost 9 weeks seizure-free)

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest greybookends

CONSULT YOUR VET ON THE DOSAGE! When my GSD was first put on PB they put him on the dose that was generarly considered normal for a dog his size. It was to much. He was overdosing. I spent 3 days home from work sitting on the floor with him as he came down off the dosage. I have never been so scared in my life for the life of one of my dogs. Once they got the right dosage he did wonderful. Call your vet. He may need to lower the dose. Do not just assume it is an adjustment period.

Prayers for your baby. :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Lucy had great info for you. My Saint is on both and had horrible side affects for 2 to 3 weeks and then his body started adjusting to the meds. The only lingering side affect now is a little weakness in the hind end every now and again but nothing we can't live with. His seizures were so horrible and he's now been seizure free for 3 years now. He is on both meds and pretty high doses but they work for him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Has he had the normal medical tests: thyroid and a full TBD panel including a pcr for e ewingii?

I second this. I've seen seizures caused by both hypothyroidism and tick borne disease.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown