Still Bleeding...what To Do?

kamsmom

Hi all, I just returned from the E-vet with Isis, (my heart dog that lives in a Alz. home). She cut her front pad on something this morning and the e-vet wrapped her up. We just got home and it has already bled thru the bandage. She cut her pad around 6am this morning and it is now 4pm.

In your experience do I need to rewrap or is there something else that I need to do? I don't mind going back to the evet but what can they do to help her stop the bleeding?

Edited by blambdin

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Lay the dog over on her side such that her injured foot is "up" (IOW, if it's on the right paw, lay her over on her left side) and take a clean towel or other soft dressing, apply it OVER the dressing already in place and apply gentle but firm pressure for 15-30 minutes. Do NOT remove the dressing that's already on. You may put another dressing over the one already in place once you've held pressure for a while. You may need to repeat this after the dog's been on her feet to go potty. Keep her off her feet as much as possible.

This isn't life-threatening, just messy, so there's no real reason to make another trip to the e-clinic.

Lynn

When should I remove the soiled dressing?

Human first aid tells me you shouldn't remove the soiled dressing until the animal has completely stopped bleeding. Until then, press down and apply pressure. A little soiled/stuck dressing is better than peeling off the partially clotted blood and potentially causing even more bleeding.

Call your regular vet in the morning. It's always best to follow up an e-vet visit with a trip to your regular vet the next day. Let your vet take it off and re-bandage, unless you've got lots of experience dressing foot wounds (they're a PITA unless you have lots of practice- especially if they're still oozy). Ask your vet to instruct you in how he's dressing it and get a bunch of bandaging materials (he'll probably sell you some at a cheaper price than the drug or feed store) to take home. Ask him for the best schedule of bandage changes and decide if you want to do them at the clinic or at home.

Lynn

Thank you, I talked with the e-vet as well and they want me to bring her back in this evening to rewrap. They want her to stay still in her crate for now and let it "dry". I'll take her in later and get some bandage material for myself. Thank you for the advice. I tend to "freak out" a little when I see the pets bleeding. (ironic because I am a nurse and don't mind seeing people bleed :rolleyes: ).

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

My Jukebox sliced his paw pad really bad one morning. My vet actually glued it then bandaged it and it worked great. I tried that glue when I got a bad paper cut on my finger. It burned for a second but not too bad and and held it together really well. Maybe they can glue it for you? Poor little girly, I hope she is feeling better soon.

Isis is doing so well, we went back and got her rebandaged. The vet came in and showed me what to do and gave me a bag full of supplies and didn't charge a dime! She is now resting quietly in her crate. Thank you GT for all the greyt advice.

Edited to add... While we were there the first time the vet tech came in and said, "It must be greyhound day, next door is a three month old puppy." :blink: I got so excited and waited around just to see him. He came out and was soooo cute. He is a fawn male puppy from GALT. He is one of Trixie's litter. Apparantly they were at a M&G and "Tony" is a bit of an Alpha and picked on the wrong dog. He got bit in the face and ended up with a few stitches. I loved petting and loving on that little boy :wub:

Edited by blambdin

She is doing well. I changed her bandage tonight and she only bled through a little bit. She is sooo calm and has been an absolute angel with all the other monsters.. err... I mean dogs. :lol The JRT and the poodle keep going up to her and giving her kisses.

This afternoon I let Isis and Carmen outside to potty together and when I reopened the door this is how I found them :wub:

IsisandCarmen003.jpg

IsisandCarmen004.jpg

Guest KaylyRed

Those are greyt pictures! Isis is beautiful. In fact, she looks like a female version of our Quin. :wub:

Sending hugs for Isis! Pad injuries can be traumatic and they sure can bleed like crazy. Ella escaped from me on her second day home and in her frantic run she tore up the pads on all four feet. She was quite a mess. But the good news is that with prompt attention and regular care she was back to her bouncy self in no time--it took about 2 weeks for her pads to totally heal (although I suspect a deep cut will be different). I hope everything goes well for you and Isis!

Aarrgghhh... Isis pulled the bandage off and she is STILL bleeding. It isn't gushing, but she leaves little blood splatter prints everywhere she walks. I have her kennelled now and am going back to get more supplies to keep bandaging. Any thing else I need to do that I am not thinking of???

Guest Tenderhearts
Aarrgghhh... Isis pulled the bandage off and she is STILL bleeding. It isn't gushing, but she leaves little blood splatter prints everywhere she walks. I have her kennelled now and am going back to get more supplies to keep bandaging. Any thing else I need to do that I am not thinking of???
It is so difficult to get those pads to heal because the dog has to walk on them at times. The fact it's not gushing indicates it is trying to heal, albeit slowly.

I'd just continue to keep changing the bandaging as necessary and make sure that foot is clean :grouphug

Have you tried applying EMT gel to the wound before wrapping? I would put a piece of nonstick gauze over it before wrapping as the gel is a bit sticky itself, but ti should help keep it closed.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

To keep her teefers away from the bandages, place a stool cup (or apply duct tape) to a kennel muzzle, then place it on her face. Usually works like a charm.

We had a foot injury almost two years ago: Manero needed surgery to repair an artery. Unfortunately, he's not used to wearing a muzzle, so bandaging was an uphill battle. After about a week, we figured he was mostly healed, so we only bandaged to go outside. He did fine, and never bothered the sutrues...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

If it's just a drop here and a drop there, it's probably OK. Gotta remember, she's walking on it, right? So it'll take awhile to heal. Depending on what type of wound, you do want to make sure it isn't getting bigger, getting infected, etc.

For foot things, I usually try to do four things: -1- Nonstick gauze pad first, so as the wound dries, the bandage doesn't stick to it; -2- a reasonable amount of padding where the wound is (if on the bottom of the foot, then you gotta pad the whole bottom of the foot); -3- wrap so that the foot stays pretty much in its natural shape -- you want some support but want to avoid splayed out toes, etc.; -4- leave the middle two toe tips visible so you can tell if the bandage is too tight.

Hmmm, now I've got number 5 :lol . I often put a sock over the bandaged foot and secure around the ankle with vet wrap. That helps my bandage last longer -- dog has to get the sock off first.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just returned home from work and am happy to say that she is not bleeding at this time. :yay I rewrapped her foot and put a baby sock on it. I just have to keep her off her feet as long as possible. (more crate time). Thank you everybody for the advice.

Beth

- who is a worrywart when it comes to her babies. :lol