Fluffy Could Use Some Good Thoughts

Guest Hannah

We went out this evening, nothing too strange there. fed the kitties their wet food as normal and gave fluffy her insulin half an hour later.

as she has been on a diet i have been gradually decreasing her insulin as ive decreased her food. its been a long hard week for both me and DH and autopilot kicked in and she got the dose of insulin she was on before she started dieting (about 1 year).

came in to discover her lying on her back in the hallway - nothing too unusual here, what was odd was that she didnt move, she shouted at us and purred and dribbled when we rubbed her tummy. weighed out her final meal of the day (she gets 4 small meals) and she wasnt interested - this is not like her at all.

prodded her to encourage her upright and she tried and failed. picked her up and stood her on her feet and her legs sort of sagged and she rather gracefully nose-dived into DH's shoes, grumbling, muttering, purring and dribbling all the time.

fairly major panic. first thought was a stroke but after a minute or two I decided it didnt look like one (old whippet had two) it was kind of like one but not really, it didnt feel right.

lightbulb came on and I checked her insulin dose (we write it all down) and realised she had had about half a unit too much. checked the symptoms of hypoglycemia online and phoned the vet.

It was my vet on duty and once more I would like to say what a fantastic man he is, it was 11:45pm (UK time) and I am pretty certain I woke him up but he was great.

After what felt to me like a long conversation (phone reported 2.5 minutes) I rubbed some golden syrrup into her gums, I tried to wipe it on her toungue but the little madam bit my finger - and drew blood!

so between washing wounds and trying to fend of the other animals who were after the syrrup she has had about 1/4 of a teaspoon of syrrup over about 30 minutes. Its now 45 minutes after the phone call and she is capeable of standing and walking (she is still purring and dribbling :rolleyes: and dribbling :lol ) She is still not totally back to normal but is heading that way.

I don't think she is seeing too well, she set off down the hall and did keep bumping into things (a hypoglycemic symptom) and literally walked all over Olaf who looked confused but waited until she had got off him before moving. I am going to go see where she got to, how she is doing and possibly give her another finger dipped in syrrup on each side of her mouth before confining her to the dog crate with some food, water, litter tray and soft fuzzy bed until morning.

no idea how much sleep I will get tonight, but I will be setting an alarm just in case so I can be up and do a thorough evaluation of her before the vet's open at 9am (8.5 hours from now).

but if you can spare Madam Fluffy a few good thoughts overnight she and I would appreciate it

thank you

Hannah & Fluffy

She is still purring and dribbling but thats perfectly normal, does anyone know of a use for kitty drool?

Sending my many prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending prayers for your sweet little one. Hope you can all get a good night's sleep and everyone will be well (if sore fingered) in the morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you all,

this morning my finger is not swollen but it is very very sore. and as it's my right index finger it made opening the tin of cat food an entertaining process :lol

Madam Fluff is her normal fat furry self. I think i got a few hours sleep in bits and pieces, every time I heard her crashing around in her crate I woke up. she spent a few hours crashing around and telling the crate off when she walked into the walls. she crashed through the litter tray a few times making crunching racket but eventually seemed to settle down and after what felt like an eternity I heard her tag clank against the side of a bowl as she either ate or drank.

Many of us grumble about the sounds that tags make but to hear hers against the bowl in a eating/drinking pattern was music to my ears :yay

this morning I was awake before the alarm went off (set for 8am) but stayed in bed until it did as I was trapped under a sleeping holly :rolleyes: When i got up Fluffy was laid in her crate, but this time with her head held high observing the world going past (well Olaf and Linus). she sat up when she saw me and started to purr (and dribble). She has been fed - and ate with gusto - and had a stomp around the kitchen and from what I can tell is moving normally (or at least normally for Fluffy). she has followed me into where the computer is and has claimed the shoe-box to curl up and sleep in. I dont think she is asleep as she is still purring with the occasional burp but fairly soon she will drop off and start to snore :sleepy:

The vets open in 15 minutes and I will have a talk to him before I give fluffy her insulin this morning.

thanks again for all the good thoughts

Hannah & Fluffy

Guest FullMetalFrank

From one diabetic to another, I hope she is feeling better! Hypoglycemia isn't much fun, I had an episode the other day and it knocked me on my hiney pretty good. It's got to be so hard with a kitty who can't tell you how she is feeling.

Hope she is still doing well.

Have we had any pictures of herself lately? Hint hint.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:lol Fluffy does purr and dribble a lot :lol the two seem to go together :wub:

I will have to try and get organised and get photos of them all for you. Work has been kind of chaotic since about about mid-july, I thought it would all be back to normal by the end of August but it now looks like its going to be halfway back to normal by late October and only normal when I get the go ahead to recruit some new people to my group.

Thank you all again for the thoughts, Madam bounced back quickly and is currently asleep and snoring in one of the many dog beds that poor old holly never gets to sleep in cos they are always full of cats :lol

We had a Siamese who lived to nearly 22. He was diabetic and also had allergies. After trying Benadryl caps (pink foam and lots of bloody fingers) and children's liquid elixer (pink foam and more bloody fingers), the vet gave us an enjectable version so when we gave Beau his insulin, we also included the Benadryl.

It's hard. Hang in there.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I am so glad Fluffy is doing better now. I also had a Fluffy...I lost her at age 22. She was my kitty before I got married and she moved on with me. I miss her so. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.