Toe Issues

lisad

Hi Everyone,

I posted a couple of days ago about Georgia's toe. I think she broke or jammed it while running. She's still limping and not bearing much weight on it. I called my adoption group who told me to just let it heal on its own and could take 6 weeks!! Is this the right thing to do? I can't stand seeing her unhappy, but I don't want to take her to the vet and have him do unnecessary things - like casting her leg. Please let me know what I should do.

Thank you!

Edited by lisad

Guest KennelMom

Ugh. Toes. We've had a run of toe/feet injuries here. :headwall If it's dislocated it will heal on it's own. Keep her from running on it. I'm not one to rush to the vet over every single little thing, but I do like to have an xray done if someone's foot swells up and I don't know *for sure* that it's "just" a dislocation.

I would definitely take her to a vet for an evaluation. Even if it's "just" dislocated, she may need to be splinted - which is sometimes very necessary for things to heal properly. If it doesn't heal, you could be facing a situation where the toe becomes constant problem.

Even if the vet can't do anything for it, they can at least get her some pain meds!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Hi Everyone,

I posted a couple of days ago about Georgia's toe. I think she broke or jammed it while running. She's still limping and not bearing much weight on it. I called my adoption group who told me to just let it heal on its own and could take 6 weeks!! Is this the right thing to do? I can't stand seeing her unhappy, but I don't want to take her to the vet and have him do unnecessary things - like casting her leg. Please let me know what I should do.

Thank you!

I would take her to the vet. They aren't going to put a cast on her leg for a toe injury, but you do need to know exactly what the injury is, and if treatment is needed.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Dislocated toes do not always heal or "pop back in" on their own. The longer a dislocated toe stays dislocated, the more likely you'll have permanent ligament damage, which will result in repeated dislocations and possible arthritis in the future. Do her toes look straight and in normal position? If she's still limping badly several days after the incident, I personally would want to have it Xrayed. Just my opinion.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Thanks to all of you who helped with Georgia's toe. We went to the vet today. He said she probably has a slight fracture in the knuckle. He gave her Rimadyl & Tramadol and told me to wrap it with an ace bandage. She already feels a LOT better. I'm also very happy to see her on the mend. :pepper :pepper :pepper