Has Anyone Had Their Dog On Primor Antibiotic?

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Monty is going on his 5th antibiotic. He has antibiotic-resistant staph (like Mr. Bodie) and a C and S revealed that Primor may be of benefit. It has very rare side effects including liver problems. You know Monty, he never met a rare side effect he didn't get. :(

The vet is going to give him more tummy meds to try to keep him comfortable (Reglan).

Did your dog do ok on Primor?

thanks!

Please send good thoughts for Monty and his recovery. It has been a long year for him!

Primor is composed of a sulfa drug (sulfadimethoxine) that is made more effective through the addition of ormetoprim. In this sense, it is very similar to sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim, which is also known as Bactrim. There are something like 300 sulfa drugs, most of which are used synergestically with another drug. In the case of trimethoprim, a dihydrofolate reductase inhibitor. Don't know about ormetoprim, but the name implies it probably works the same way as trimethoprim.

Such drugs aren't just bacteriostatic (halting the growth and proliferation of bacteria), but bacteriocidal (killing bacteria). I suspect the culture and sensitivity also indicated that Bactrim (SXT/trimethoprim) also worked; Primor is probably still under patent, and I wouldn't want to guess how much it costs. Presumably there is a reason your vet chose Primor over Bactrim, and given the institution, it's probably a good one.

As with virtually any drug, kidney and liver problems are possibilities. Sulfa drugs are *usually* well-tolerated.

Out of curiosity, have you tried alcohol compresses on the staph? I've never seen this suggested or recommended, but bacteria have poor resistance to alcohol. A dermal infection would be particularly susceptible to exposure. If there are specific areas of the skin that are affected, you might try padding a cotton ball or paper towel (with 30% or 70% ethanol) on one or two small spots to see if they clear faster than a control. You'd probably have to hold it in place 5-15 minutes.

Acne can be cleared up in this fashion, implying the alcohol can penetrate deep enough to disinfect. It doesn't seem to hurt human skin, but I have no idea how it might affect a dog.

Good luck with Monty.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greytmonty

Thanks for your reply. Monty gets an antibacterial bath every other day which probably does the same as the alcohol without burning him. His sores are wide open in places so the alcohol might sting.

the vet considered Primor or Clindamycin, but the Primor is cheaper and once daily.

Boon took Primor a few years ago. I'd have to look back and see exactly why it had been prescribed. Unfortunately, we thought he was having and acid trip. He panted heavily and seemed to be hallucinating. It was very unsettling. Needless to say, he only received that one dose. When I talked to the vet the next morning she said that she has heard of that happening, but seemed a little surprised.

I don't want to scare you, but I thought I'd share my story since you asked for info. Boon's reaction was disturbing, but I wouldn't tell you not to use the drug. I know about a lot of the things you and Monty have been through, so I'm all for anything that might help your boy. I always read your threads, even if I don't always post. He's such a cutie. :bighug

My dogs have not taken Primor. I just want to send prayers for Monty. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

No experience with Primor, but I have taken a related drug, Bactrim. Reading the side effects were scary (considering my first dose was double :blink: ) but it went just fine and worked well. My father uses it all the time with his patients (mainly for MRSA), and says overall, it's very well tolerated, even by the patients that already have liver function impairment (alcohol abuse, hepatitis, etc.-- he's a chem. dep. nurse)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest Tenderhearts

Primor was the only antibiotic the vet used for Lori Ann. She was on it several times, both for UTI's, and prior to any dentals.

She never had any side effects from it. The hardest part was getting her pilled because it was a HUGE pill, and it would dissolve quickly, with an extremely bitter taste.

It is pricier than a lot of the other antibiotics, but was worth it for us.

I stay away from sulfa based drugs when possible. If it is the best drug for him, then I'd try it and watch him carefully.

If I had a choice, I'd go with a drug that was not sulfa. My experiences have been: I am allergic (very) to sulfa, I had a Dobe allergic to sulfa and heard of many reactions in Dobes, Jodie (grey) took a sulfa drug for a staph infection with no problems and it cleared the staph infection.

Like all the other drugs, he may be ok or he may be sensitive. From what I read, it is a short term (21 days or less) drug. If you are worried about the liver, you can do blood work every week.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest greytmonty
Primor was the only antibiotic the vet used for Lori Ann. She was on it several times, both for UTI's, and prior to any dentals.

She never had any side effects from it. The hardest part was getting her pilled because it was a HUGE pill, and it would dissolve quickly, with an extremely bitter taste.

It is pricier than a lot of the other antibiotics, but was worth it for us.

It is the biggest pill I have ever seen in my life!!!! :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

After Atopica, nothing is that expensive, ha. ($4 to $6 per pill).

I stay away from sulfa based drugs when possible. If it is the best drug for him, then I'd try it and watch him carefully.

If I had a choice, I'd go with a drug that was not sulfa. My experiences have been: I am allergic (very) to sulfa, I had a Dobe allergic to sulfa and heard of many reactions in Dobes, Jodie (grey) took a sulfa drug for a staph infection with no problems and it cleared the staph infection.

Like all the other drugs, he may be ok or he may be sensitive. From what I read, it is a short term (21 days or less) drug. If you are worried about the liver, you can do blood work every week.

Monty has to go on a sulfa drug as the previous 4 antibiotics have not cleared the staph, augh.

I am going to watch him and we can check his blood tests next week, thanks.

• 11 years later...
On 9/18/2007 at 9:20 PM, Guest boondog said:

Boon took Primor a few years ago. I'd have to look back and see exactly why it had been prescribed. Unfortunately, we thought he was having and acid trip. He panted heavily and seemed to be hallucinating. It was very unsettling. Needless to say, he only received that one dose. When I talked to the vet the next morning she said that she has heard of that happening, but seemed a little surprised.

I don't want to scare you, but I thought I'd share my story since you asked for info. Boon's reaction was disturbing, but I wouldn't tell you not to use the drug. I know about a lot of the things you and Monty have been through, so I'm all for anything that might help your boy. I always read your threads, even if I don't always post. He's such a cutie. :bighug

Was Boon given the correct dosage of Primor? My dog was given 3x the correct dose (new Tech), she had a very similar reaction - acid trip, horrible. Took to ER that day, and New Vet a few days later.  (1) week later she still isn't right. How long did your dogs symptoms last? (My dog has had Primor before with no problem, at the correct dose.)

the original thread is 12 years old and most of those people are no longer on here.

Hopefully someone will answer your questions...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg