What Is In This Poop? Grapes

Guest multiplicity

Guest multiplicity

Our new country home has grape vines along the far back fence and along the house. All summer I took special care to make sure none of the boys could get at the grapes. Earlier this week DH picked them all before they started to get too ripe.

Yesterday morning I was on poop patrol and came upon some interesting lumpy bumpy looking poop. After extensive investigation overwhelming panic over came me "Holy sh*t, this is loaded with grapes!!!"! :omg

I ran into the house and to ask DH where he threw all the rotten grapes we had plucked out of the bucket of grapes he picked. "I threw them back in the flower bed under the vine." he said so matter-of-fact like. "Honey, don't you remember grapes are toxic to dogs!?" I snapped back. :wife

Since I recall Devin grazing in that flower bed (and b/c his nickname is Hoover) I figure it is he who had ate the grapes. It has been at least 36hrs and he passed them whole for the most part. There has been no change in his behaviour, appetite or energy level. Should I still be concerned?

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

Pathogenesis:

The mechanism of toxicity is unknown. Affected dogs develop anuric renal failure within 72 hr of ingestion of grapes or raisins. Estimated amounts of grapes associated with renal injury in dogs are ~32 g/kg; amounts of raisins associated with signs range from 11-30 g/kg.

Clinical Findings:

Most affected dogs develop vomiting and/or diarrhea within 6-12 hr of ingestion of grapes or raisins. Other signs include lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain, weakness, dehydration, polydipsia, and tremors (shivering). Oliguric or anuric renal failure develops within 24-72 hr of exposure; once anuric renal failure develops, most dogs die or are euthanized. Transient elevations in serum glucose, liver enzymes, pancreatic enzymes, serum calcium, or serum phosphorus develop in some dogs.

Diagnosis:

Diagnosis is based on history of exposure, along with clinical signs. Other causes of renal failure (eg, ethylene glycol, cholecalciferol) should be considered in the differential diagnosis.

Treatment:

Prompt decontamination of significant ingestion of raisins or grapes is recommended. Emesis can be induced with 3% hydrogen peroxide (2 mL/kg; no more than 45 mL), followed by activated charcoal. With large ingestions or in cases where vomiting and/or diarrhea has spontaneously developed within 12 hr of ingestion of grapes or raisins, aggressive fluid diuresis for 48 hr is recommended. Renal function and fluid balance should be monitored during fluid administration. For oliguric dogs, urine production may be stimulated by using dopamine (0.5-3 µg/kg/min, IV) and/or furosemide (2 mg/kg, IV). Anuric dogs are unlikely to survive unless peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis is performed, and even then the prognosis is guarded.

So- 32 g/kg for a 66 pound (33 kg) greyhound works out to over a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of grapes.

Someone check my math on that, but that's a LOT of grapes if my math is right.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest multiplicity

Thanks ahicks51.

Devin is about 78lb and he ate about 1.5-2.0 cups of grapes (based on what was thrown out and what I saw in his poop).

I was hoping he would be in the clear but I will continue to monitor him closely...especially since he also has IBD which means things could turn ugly FAST!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie ate raisins a few weeks ago and I was freaking out, but she's fine, with no other harm than raisin-y poop. :rolleyes:

Thirty six hours, they can't really do anything, so just watch for signs of distress, or kidney distress, but most likely he'll be fine.

Your math is fine. I got over two pounds of grapes for a 30+kg dog, too. And that sure is a lot of grapes.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Hopefully Devin will be lucky this time, but I would get rid of the grape vines.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

it doesn't need to be a lot of grapes if the dog is going to react. one of our adopters nearly lost both greys and had over $5K in bills to save them. She came home and realized that they got about 1 lbs of grapes. She made them puke. one dog ate most of them and the other hardly any based on puke evidence. Both dogs got real sick and were hospitalized for days. it was the dog who ate less who's kidneys almost totally shut down.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

We also had an adopter who didn't realize raisins were toxic and fed them to her greyhound as a treat. She called me when her greyhound was seizing. Rushed her to the ER vet to learn that it was the raisins. The greyhound is fine after getting it all out of the system. No idea how many raisins she got...

Keep us posted. I hope all turns out well...

Guest snowberry

One theory is that the dogs are reacting to a microscopic fungus that grows on the surface of grapes, that humans can process, but many dogs can't. The same way that some people have peanut allergy, which is really a response to aflatoxins, from microscopic moulds. I think that if you've reached the "pooping it out" stage, all you can really do is watch and wait. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Guest multiplicity

Devin (and his brothers) are doing well today. I am hoping we were able to dodge that bullet...

We are also fur-kid sitting 2 non-greys and they are doing well too...I do not think they ate any grapes but I am watching them too just in case...could you imagine how horrible it would be if something happen to one of them!? :o

I would suggest a vet visit. They can run a blood panel and urinalysis to make sure his kidney function is unaffected. It will put your mind at ease if he's okay, and help you to catch and treat it if he's not okay.

Make DH pull out/fence off the grape vines for penance. :lol

Hopefully Devin is okay!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest multiplicity
I would suggest a vet visit. They can run a blood panel and urinalysis to make sure his kidney function is unaffected. It will put your mind at ease if he's okay, and help you to catch and treat it if he's not okay.

Make DH pull out/fence off the grape vines for penance. lol.gif

Hopefully Devin is okay!

OMG, thank you for suggesting that!!! I work in a lab (I am working hard right now...he he he) and I can just collect samples and run them myself! If anything looks suspicious I'll bring him to the vet.

Hopefully Devin will be lucky this time, but I would get rid of the grape vines.

Get rid of the vines or DH? B)

:lol Have him get rid of the vines and any grapes that may be on the ground, and keep tabs on the area so they don't grow back. Probably be a good idea if DH knows about the other toxic stuff also. He'll probably pay more attention now. I second the bloodwork and urinalysis suggestion. linky

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg