Low Thyroid

Guest SurlyJen

Guest SurlyJen

Anyone else have their hound on thyroid meds? How long did it take for their hair to grow back? Did you see any behavioral changes after the meds kicked in? Just curious...

Thanks!

Jen

Guest SquanHound

Ping is on .6mg twice a day. I didn't notice any behavioral changes with him and he has always been a fuzzy butt kind of guy :blush His coat has gotten a bit thicker and shinier (sp?), but I attributed that to the fish oil capsuls. He has been on tyriod meds for 7 mo. now. In case you haven't already discovered this, they are much cheaper if you order them online. I order from Drs Foster and Smith b/c my vet is very particular as to which online locations she will write a cript to, but it is at least 1/2 the price online.

Guest SurlyJen

Good to know, thanks!

Aley started losing a lot of his hair around Christmas last year, and we just did a thyroid panel last week. He is low and I think he's on the same dosage as yours.

I just want his gorgeous coat back! He used to be so velvety and shiny, now he's all sparse and just a little shiny. :( Poor guy, hope it works for him. Fish oil tabs cut out the dandruff on him, but don't do anything for the thickness of his hair...

Me too...my vet said that other heath problems can crop up if a low thyroid isn't treated, but he didn't elaborate.

Does anyone else know specifics???

Unexplained behavior changes for one.

Both my angel Oliver and now Wally are on thyroid meds. Oliver had had some eating/thirst problems and the low levels were seen on the comprehesive lab work. Wally came to us already on the meds. Both had plenty of hair, no bald butts. Oliver's hair was a bit long but not healthy looking. Wally's looks good.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Chloe who was a MAJOR spook changed considerably after her thyroid meds kicked in. She is on .5 mg, 2 x a day.

Her hair on her behind/thighs has grown back about 40% since January. Her behavior is completly different. She is a wild, silly, playful pup with us and in her home. With strangers and out in public, she is reserved.

When we take them to a fenced in area for them to run. She is the first one out there running when her leash is off.

Chloe got back her quality of life thanks to the meds.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How long does it take the meds to kick in? Wonder has been on .6 mg twice a day for 3 weeks and I haven't noticed any changes yet. She didn't present any symptoms. The only reason we found out the thyroid is low is because we are trying to figure out why she has started licking her lips.

And some more thyroid stuff, scroll down to page 3: http://animalhealth.msu.edu/News/March07.pdf

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SurlyJen

Thanks for the input! I haven't been able to get on to check your responses because my home laptop is shot. :(

The vet wants me to go back in in a month to retest his levels. I guess it takes a month or two to see any results.

My guy is a bit spooky, and very clingy, so maybe his thyroid has something to do with those behaviours. His hair is really thin, though, so I hope it grows in.

Thanks for the responses! I'll keep you posted.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Ok, symptoms of low thryoid -

hair loss, irritability, low energy, voracious appetite or no appetite, weight gain, compromised immune system, etc.

Yardman is low thyroid. It took about a month for us to see a complete change, but the irritability subsided within a week - hair growth took almost 3 months to see tufts of fur popping up.

Word of note, if you do not see a change after a couple of months consider changing from synthroid to soloxine or levoxyl. Sometimes one works better than the other.

Star has been on thyroid meds for a good few years. My previous vet had him on 8mg. When I changed vets he tested him again and lowered the dosage to 5 mg. I get 90 day supply for $18. Stars butt fur grew back fairly quickly. He has a nice furry butt now. LOL

Make a fast friend adopt a greyhound

springflat.jpg