Can She Pant Herself Into A Heart Attack?

Remolacha

Sugar has a bad heart, grade IV-V murmur, enlarged left ventricle, leaky valve, etc. Right now she also has a very painful rear leg/back, and has been panting heavily for over an hour. We have an apt at 2:15 (it's 12:30 now), but I am concerned that if she keeps up this panting (from the pain) she will stress her heart out. I could take her to the evet, but the wait is likely to be long. So, does anyone know, can she give herself a heart attack from heavy panting, given her bad heart?

Unfortunately, my vet does surgery mid-day (one vet clinic) We are already being worked in before the regular afternoon apts. She is still panting, but not as heavily, and has settled down (she was very restless), so I guess we'll wait. I hope they can find out what's wrong (and it isn't the bad thing).

Well, my vet assures me that they can't pant themselves into a heart attack :).

Best guess is back muscle spasms causing a pinched nerve, since she will be ok, then suddenly limping badly. We have Metacam and Tramadol for that. To be on the safe side, she took blood to check for Valley Fever and TBD, since they can present as weird neurological stuff in the back end (I believe that is the technical description :lol ) and started a round of Doxy.

I hope something works soon, I hate to see my baby in pain :( She's lost 3 lbs in the last week :(

Poor baby, hope she is better soon. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

They took x-rays last week when all this started. All they show is lots of arthritis and the places on her spine where the vertebrae are starting to loose their cushion. I know that's not exactly right, but you get the idea :). The drugs are helping with the pain, but she still doesn't want to put weight on the right leg. Blood tests show no TBD, but very low thyroid :blink: Still waiting on the Valley Fever. I am worried 1) because she still doesn't want to use the leg and 2) she has started not being interested in food. So far, she still eats the cheese balls and braunschweiger balls that hide her pills, and she will drink Vanilla Ensure, but I don't think braunschweiger and Ensure are a very balanced diet :lol She did eat some chicken baby food today, so I'm getting more of that.