Help My Dog Got Scratched I Think

rschultz

Hi,

My grey, we just adopted 2 months ago. We went to the neighbors house to play with their 4 month old dog. Well of course my grey just stand there while the puppy jumps all over her. Anyway, when I came home, I noticed on her almost bald butt there was a long red scratch. I washed it and put some neopsorin on it. Now it looks like it is bumpy. Could it be a scratch or could it be posion ivy? Can dogs get a posionous rash? I called my vet but they arent in today. (of course)

ty for any helpfyl suggestions. It seems to be hurting her and of course that is the side she lay on.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Hi,

My grey, we just adopted 2 months ago. We went to the neighbors house to play with their 4 month old dog. Well of course my grey just stand there while the puppy jumps all over her. Anyway, when I came home, I noticed on her almost bald butt there was a long red scratch. I washed it and put some neopsorin on it. Now it looks like it is bumpy. Could it be a scratch or could it be posion ivy? Can dogs get a posionous rash? I called my vet but they arent in today. (of course)

ty for any helpfyl suggestions. It seems to be hurting her and of course that is the side she lay on.

I wish I could post a pic but I tried before when we first got her so everyone could see what she looks like it just didn't work. I am not good at figuring how to do it withought easy instructions..sorry plus i am on dial up so everyhting is so slow. If someone could explain to me how to do it easily i could try again

Has she been scratching or licking at it? Poison Ivy doesn't start by a scratch - just a generalized rash. Until you see your vet I'd keep with the neosporin if she has an open cut and maybe an ice pask to relieve the rash alittle. SIGreyLady

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Dogs don't get poison ivey. Wash the scratch with soap and water and you can put an antibiotic cream on it. How bad is it? Just a scratch?

I washed it and put neosporin on it. It looks all bumpy now. it is a long scrape very red and bumpy. long like the length of my elbow to my hand. ty

Yeah, that looks like contact dermatitis. I agree with Burpdog. Wash it off :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I am glad my gorgous girl can be seen by everyone...lol.. she is though quite embarassed that her rear end is :puke being shown being so red and raw. I washed it off with a hose of cold water and put neosporin on it. The vet called back and said that was good to do and to call him in a few days if something changes. I hope it is just a scratch and not some kind of allergic reaction. I am parnoid about poison ivy. I got it last year and suffered for months.

Oh wow, she is pretty :wub: I hope she feels better soon!

Oh, and in the future you might want to only see the puppy when it's on a leash. Many greyhounds, my older gal included, DO NOT like it when puppies jump on them. It's also a good opportunity for your friend to teach the puppy proper dog manners.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Hi,

I put neosporin on it again last night. This morning it just looks like a scratch. The rash part seems better. ty for all your help. It i so nice to have this site to go to. Lexie says she feels less self consious today about her rear...lol