What To Do To Help A Constipated Dog?

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

Although this isn't for a greyhound, I'd love to know what to do just in case. Right now, my mom's dog hasn't pooed since Thursday morning and she's straining but not able to go. The problem is my mom is on a vacation and the dog stayed at home with my brother (who lives there). My mom's dog is very attached to my mom and will not eat a whole lot while she's gone.

So she hasn't had as much as she normally would, but obviously has to go. What is safe to give a constipated dog? It'd be good to know for mine for future reference too.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Daily fiber! Give him couple tablespoons of pumpkin... then go down to 1 tablespoon daily.

My BFs dog was always constipated before he came to live with me... Havent had any issues since he went on pumpkin!

Good luck! Giving a fish oil caplet will also work... but a lot of times OVER works!

If pup is straining but can't go, needs to see a vet.

Depending on how small, teaspoon or two of olive oil would help normal constipation, but straining etc. isn't normal ......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest savvyprchick

Thanks everyone... Olive Oil did the trick. She's a Sheltie, so my brother gave her only a tablespoon of it and then took her outside playing frisbee... within 20 minutes she was able to deliver the goods :lol

Dogs and old ladies in nursing homes. Can't praise them too much for a great BM! :blush:lol:

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04