Something's Wrong With Maddie

Guest cestbarb

Guest cestbarb

My poor Maddie - for weeks and weeks she's been having trouble with pressure sores on her left rear leg, one that was stitched but didn't hold. and more recently one on her front elbow. I got her some EMT gel - didn't seem to work too well but I've only been using it for a week. I've been bathing her sores and following the vet's advice. Very early this morning she asked to be let out and I noticed that her front leg, the one with the pressure sore was swollen. Took her to the vet who took a culture of her lesion and a blood test. Her temperature was 106. She got a shot of steroids to bring down the swelling and was sent home with antibiotics and tramadol. Her leg is swollen even more now and she can't lie down. I gave her two tramadol and I'm hoping that she'll be able to find a place for herself and lie down. I'm worried sick.

Go back to the vet immediatley, it could be compartment syndrome.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Sorry to hear about Maddie being unwell. Hopefully you'll be able to post some good news later.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest cestbarb

Update on Maddie -

Don't know how to make this show up on top sorry :( I stil lneed to practice and read up on this forum stuff.

Thanks to everyone who suggested I see a vet immediately. DH and I took Maddie to the local vet who looked at her leg and said that the reason the swelling was down to her foot was due to gravity and it was normal that the swelling would drop. She took Maddie's temp and it was normal from a high of 105 yesterday. Since it's Saturday there wasn't much more that she could do; we still have to wait for the results of the culture on her pressure sore. She said to continue with the broad spectrum antibiotics and pain pills and also to soak her leg in a very warm epsom salt solution. Well, that seemed to help because after 45 minutes of bathing a lot of "stuff" came out and the swelling did go down a bit. Phew! what a relief. I'll continue bathing one more time today and again tomorrow and hope that the swelling comes down some more.

Thank you all for your support.

It's great to know there's someone to turn to when the situation seems desperate. :)

Guest Ladyluther

It's great to hear that things are now under control for Ms. Maddie.

Please give her some well earned smooches from Luther and me....

Martha and Luther in MA