Claritin For Greyhounds

Anyone know if Claritin is safe for use in greyhounds?

I've been wondering if Coco's allergies are due to grass. Rather than prednisone (which works well enough, but has some drawbacks), I'd like to see if Claritin would help.

Of course I'll check with my vet, but she doesn't see a whole lot of greys; there's nobody in the East Valley who does, really.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Benedryl for allergies is safe.

I have never heard of using Claritin for it though.

I found this when I googled "Claritin AND Dogs"

Claritin D contains a drug known as pseudoephedrine which can be toxic to dogs, and it has the potential to kill your pet if the dosage is high enough.

Further to that, this website came up:

Veterinary info

Of course, it's always a good idea to check with your vet ;)

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Originally thought it was, and it may well be, and I'm pretty sure my vet and I discussed its use; however, below are the various antihisitine dosages she provided me:

She advises to give only the meds below and NOT combo formulations which may include ibuprofen or acetomenaphin:

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, 25mg): 1 mg/lb by mouth 2-3 times per day.

Clemastine (Tavist, 1.34mg): 1/2-1 pill by mouth 2 times per day. (use 1 pill per dose for a GH).

Chlorpheniramine (Chlortrimeton, 4mg): 1-2 pills by mouth 3 times per day. (start at 1 pill per dose for a GH).

Hydroxyzine (Atarax, 10mg): 1 mg/lb by mouth 2-3 times per day.

Cyproheptadine (Periactin, 4mg): 1/4-1 pill by mouth 2 times per day. (use 1 pill per dose for a GH).

And edited to add - Clemastine is apparently the most similar to Claritin non-drowsy.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

It's been tried and doesn't work very well. Benedryl and Hydroxyzine are the tried and true medications for allergies in dogs. Chlorpheneramine works allright, too.

Benedryl for allergies is safe.

I have never heard of using Claritin for it though.

I found this when I googled "Claritin AND Dogs"

Claritin D contains a drug known as pseudoephedrine which can be toxic to dogs, and it has the potential to kill your pet if the dosage is high enough.

Claritin D is a different formulation--Claritin is an antihistamine. Claritin D also contains a decongestant.

Further to that, this website came up:

Veterinary info

Of course, it's always a good idea to check with your vet ;)

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest coaster
It's been tried and doesn't work very well. Benedryl and Hydroxyzine are the tried and true medications for allergies in dogs. Chlorpheneramine works allright, too.

Loratadine is the active ingredient in regular Claratin. I used it for my dog until switching to Chlorpheniramine 4mg twice a day (you can up that if needed but I'd check with the vet). I didn't know that Hydroxyzine ws the "tried and true." We did try another one, but I can't remember what it was. My girl is allergic to everything (almost) in the environment, and the dog dermatologist said you just have to try them and find the one that works best for your dog. I finally bought a bottle of 1000 Chlorpheniramine 4mg tabs online from a pet supply company because it was so much cheaper and easier than buying from the vet or derma. Wish I had tried the Hydroxyzine.