Senior Girl Getting Grouchy

In January, we adopted a senior Grey that had been turned in by her family because they were moving :angryfire ! Anyway, Pearl is very sweet and well trained, even knowing "sit" and "lay down". She is perfectly housetrained and been a joy to live with. Foley, our other girl came to us as a spook in Aug. 2004 - she has made remarkable progress and is becoming a love puppy - she is not a girl that will assert herself. Pearl likes to be the boss - if Foley is eating/drinking/laying on what Pearl think is her bed, she will just stand by Foley and give her "the eye'. Foley then lets Pearl have whatever.

Pearl turned 11 in March. In the past few weeks, she has acted like she may have some "dementia" - she stands up and then looks confused and seems like she doesn't know what she wants to do. In the past couple of days, she has become grouchy towards the smaller dogs and the cats. An example: yesterday, I was here in the office and Pearl was laying on the floor by my chair. As one of the JRTs went by, she growled and really lunged at her. Then last night, she jumped up off her bed in the living room and almost cornered one of the cats. She would have persued her if we hadn't physically restrained her. Even after the cat left the living room, Pearl was still looking for her. She had never shown any interest in the cats until then.

When there is no one in the house, both Greys are muzzled - they have been since Pearl arrived and showed that she is the alpha. Now, I am having concerns about her even when we are home!! She is So sweet and deserves to live her days out in a wonderful home (OURS, of course!). Does this happen with the older Greys? Any suggestions? We really love her and want to do what we can to keep everyone safe and happy.

Edited by Pepsi2004
pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

There may be some medical condition causing the change in behaviour. The first step is always a vet visit, and I'd be asking for a full geriatric blood profile, preferably including thyroid panel. Many dogs who develop hypothyroidism do get grouchy - but then so do dogs with pain issues, or sometimes heart issues which are starving the brain of sufficient oxygen. Best let a vet take a look and see if he can find anything. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest smarthound

It may be that Pearl is experiencing early stages of canine dementia (also known as canine cognitive dysfunction). This is not as scary as it may sound. We had a senior pup who was very forgetful of basics like what he was supposed to do when we let him out in the yard. We taught him the "go potty" command and problem solved. He just needed a little extra help remembering the basics. There are medications that can help with this condition although our senior didn't get to the point that medication was necessary. You might want to talk to your vet the next time you have an appointment.

The grouchiness may be a sign that she's uncomfortable or in pain. Does she show any signs of arthritis like stiffness getting up or lying down or reluctance to use the stairs? It might be a good idea to have her examined to determine if there is anything physically wrong.

Let us know how things go.

Guest gr84me

My dog, Brody, is 9. He does have arthritis and is borderline thyroid (not yet time for medication), and he is kind of grumpy about his legs and paws. His personality is also the same as you've described. He can tolerate other animals (well, other greyhounds mostly, but he can tolerate cats sometimes) for a short time, but they bug him. He is okay outside with other dogs, unless they have bad dog manners, but I've had to work with him. He's okay for short times with children, but they annoy him and he will try to go lie down away from them if he can - he was bounced for snapping at an unsupervised toddler who was in his face. He's one of those dogs that needed to be placed in an "only dog home". He is very obedient, extremely aware of his surrounds and alert, very smart, never has an accident inside unless he's sick, very gentle and sweet, and the best companion animal adults with no other pets could hope for. He's just a wired dog - could it be that Pearl is the same way and just can't handle a lot of other-dog stimulation?

Edited by gr84me

I agree with a vet check. she could be hurting and is growling because she's afraid someone will hurt her if they step on her or something...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I would certainly have both a senior comprehensive blood panel and a complete thyroid panel plus urinalysis to see if there is a medical problem. Since arthritis pain can also cause grumpiness I would also try some supplements such as glucosamine & chondrotin. My puppers have always done great with Fresh Factors and Joint Health by Springtime. Springtime

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg