Kidney Issues?

Guest shanozdog

Guest shanozdog

Sam had a dental done yesterday. Based on the pre-op blood results, the vet told me she suspects kidney issues. Well, the Creatnine was 1.6 and the BUN 19. Isn't a 1.6 in the normal range for Greyhounds? Can't find any information on BUN ranges. Also, he had an infection in his gum in the very back. Further, they infiltrated his vein and the poor guy's leg is swollen. Non of this seems to be bothering him a all and he is usual goofy self.

Should I be concerned?

Here's a link to a topic started by Dr. Feeman dealing with blood values. Hope this helps. My vet's lab reference ranges for BUN/Creatinine are up to 25 on the BUN and creatinine up to 1.6. You might ask your vet what the reference ranges are but it doesn't sound like the numbers you posted are abnormal.

Link to Blood Values

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Dr. Stack's article: Greyhound Bloodwork

Another article: more on greyhound labs

And I found this: BUN test More human related (so the values aren't meaningful in this case), but it does describe what the test looks for.

For specific guidance, look to Dr. Feeman's thread. Hope this helps.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest shanozdog

Thanks everyone. I will watch him and have another another Creatinine level drawn in a couple months. At this point I am not too concerned. Thanks again for all the reassurance.