All 3 Boys Losing Weight Since We Moved

Guest multiplicity

Guest multiplicity

We moved from our townehouse to a house in the country last month. The move went well and all 3 greys and 4 cats adapted extremely well and quickly to their new surroundings - all the animals are sooooo much happier here. We are all so much happier here! :colgate

There is only one problem: The boys have been losing weight. There is no sign of stress, their feeding routine is the same and and they are on Advantage Multi so I am not worried about parasites. I think the problem is that everytime I let them out they run around and poop, run around and poop, run around and POOP. They poop until there is nothing left to poop and the longer I leave them out there the more they poop...but not necessarily b/c they have the need, I think they do it b/c they can.

What should I do? Should I feed them more? Less? Not leave 'em outside for long periods off time? OR should I do nothing...perhaps this is temporary? :huh

Edited by multiplicity

Add a cup of food. See what happens.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest RICHandJUDE

It also sounds to me that they are getting more exercise. I have two

greyts. In the summer, my male loses 5 or 6 lbs and the female loses 3

to 4. We have a fenced in backyard.

Although they run in the Winter, they step it up a notch in the Summer.

They run, run, and run.

I would reckon it's definitely the extra exercise causing them too poop more. I have always found with mine that the more we walk out and exercise, the more they poop and the more fat they burn off. I would give them a little more food for the moment and see if things settle down after a while, but don't worry, as long as they are running and pooping, there won't be much wrong at all.

Sue from England

Mine will lose a little weight in the Summer and Fall because they're exercising a lot more. They usually put the weight back on in the Winter.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest tigerlily

i agree, give him more food. but i have to tell you the picture you painted about the running and pooping was so funny i had to chuckle.. when we first got sugar, everytime i took her out she pooped..whether it was 3, 4 or 5 times a day( this was besides her 2 long walks at night). i think it was because when she was at the track when they took them out they had to do their duty or wait until the next time someone came for them. she thought i better get it done or it may be hours before i get the chance again..she did this for about a month and then figured out she didnt have to be on such a tight schedule.

Guest greytexplorer
Although they run in the Winter, they step it up a notch in the Summer.

They run, run, and run.

My gyrls add weight in the summer and winter b/c they do LESS activity (too hot/too cold).

"step it up a notch" for them would be walking an extra 20 feet! hehehe

They're getting more running in and thus, need a bit more food/calories! Up their food some and they'll be just fine :)

Ours lost weight too when we first moved to our house. They LOVE their yards, don't they?

P.S. If you haven't, check out my response in the Scary Grins post in C&F ;)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I agree with the rest - more excercise is probably the cause.. These dogs fluctuate weight so quickly!

Silly note - if you now have a yard - why do you need poop bags? Get a shovel and a trash can! Just kidding....

My dogs have mostly free-access to the yard (when we're home) and they seem to poo more than leash-walked dogs.... cuz ???? But it's very little poo's mostly.

A bounce foster came back to us a bit on the heavy side.... he'd been leash-walked only, with issues, and not as much as maybe he should.... anyway... within a couple weeks of being here with yard access, he dropped weight like a stone!!! He went from heavy, to almost too skinny and I increased his food - in less than two weeks. Just from yard play and mult-poo!

It doesn't seem possible that just "that" can change the weight... but I believe it.

Guest multiplicity
Silly note - if you now have a yard - why do you need poop bags? Get a shovel and a trash can! Just kidding....

Hey, I totally agree with ya but the hubby says no way! The last owner used to throw it in a compost heap at the back of the property and told us we should do the same but DH will have nothing to do with that! He says a mountain of crap will be way too stinky...I guess his senses are already offended enough with the farm aromas coming from just down the road. :lol