Involuntary Expression Of...glands

:blush Took Sammie to the vet this afternoon for his exam and vaccinations, etc. While we were there, since he HATES it when I try to trim his nails, I asked if the vet could give it a try.

The poor tech brought him back in, REEKING...he had apparently got so upset that he expressed his anal glands--I felt SOOO BAD :unsure Poor guy--and poor us, because we had to sit and wait for the vet to return with the exam room door closed and oh my, oh my, did I ever wish for some ventilation! :blink:

I just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else's grey before--I've never ever had a dog do this!

:blush Took Sammie to the vet this afternoon for his exam and vaccinations, etc. While we were there, since he HATES it when I try to trim his nails, I asked if the vet could give it a try.

The poor tech brought him back in, REEKING...he had apparently got so upset that he expressed his anal glands--I felt SOOO BAD :unsure Poor guy--and poor us, because we had to sit and wait for the vet to return with the exam room door closed and oh my, oh my, did I ever wish for some ventilation! :blink:

I just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else's grey before--I've never ever had a dog do this!

Greyhound, no, but as a vet assistant, I have had a few dogs express their glands while I was holding the dogs for the nurses to do shots or blood draws. Only one of the dogs' gland secretions have gotten on me so far....

It happens.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest guinness_the_greyt

ewwwwwww.... nope cant say thats ever happened here. And from the sounds of it I hope it never does!!! :lol I'm sure it's happened to others with fearful pups

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

It happened to my Dance in a similar situation. Dance hates to have her nails trimmed, so while we were at Petsmart for a M&G, I took her back to the grooming area to have them done. They clipped her on a short leash to a hook in the floor to keep Dance still. She freaked out...started screaming, thrashing around and expressing those glands. I had to yell at the groomer to make her unclip the leash so she could calm down. The girl just sat there in shock! Thankfully, the groomers cleaned Dance up before we left. Now I just do nails at home. :rolleyes:

Guest PiagetsMom

Never had it happen with Piaget, but it's happened quite a few times with Lucy. It seems to be an anxiety/fear reaction for her - makes a mess, smells horrible.

Lucky, my mix, tried to eat one of my movers (hey, she thought they were stealing my stuff :dunno ), and there was the smell of raw/cooking hamburger in the house after that. The mover was so scared that he hid between the inside door and the storm door which he couldn't get open to get away. I was never certain which of them the smell came from, but I _think_ it was Lucky.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

My vet clinic has a spray they use on the anal area ,after the glans are expressed, and it gets rid of most of the odor.

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Not my grey, but my Pit does this every time she has X-Rays w/o me there (she's had TPLO done on BOTH knees - so there have been a LOT of X-rays). It's a fear reaction. My vet has finally figured out to ask me to come in with the techs. There's a note in her chart now :lol

STINKY. But, it shouldn't last for too long.

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown

Guest IGmom4now

My Shy IG boy "expressed himself" on the vet's white coat when she picked him up to "take him in the back". I felt sorry for both of them...

Guest adriahna

Brick did it just today, while on the vet's exam table. My Desi, however, opted to have them do it for her... typical Diva Desi behavior...

Guest crazy4greys

Winnie did it yesterday and got it on the vet's pants! :blush Gross and smelly!! He was trying to put her on the exam table so I could hold her for blood drawing and she freaked out when he went to lift her! I had to pick her up myself. Good thing she only weighs 56#'s!

She has to be on the table so I can hold her head under my arm so she doesn't see what is happening. She doesn't like needles, just like her mommy! :lol

Guest SillyDog

I had a dog a few years ago that decided to partially express her anal glands during hour 2 of a 7 hour drive. I looked for the nearest city, got off the highway and found WalMart where I purchased wipes & air spray. And then I drove with the windows down a bit for awhile. It was a fun trip. I can't imagine how a full expression of both glands would smell. Ugh.