Dew Claws

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Does your grey have them? Soul doesn't. Every dog I have taken out from the kennel for a M&G has had his dew claws. Then along came Soul, who is "special" in a lot of ways :wub: No dew claws on this boy. Just curious . . .why would they have been removed? I know they really serve no purpose these days (yet Archie really uses his to hold onto chew toys), and they can get caught and tear often. Just curious, as he's the first grey I've met with out 'em.

Lucy doesn't Renie and Teddy do. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

what' s a dew claw??

It's the nail that's partially up the leg and doesn't touch the ground. Some breeds have them on the front, and some even have front and back dewclaws.

Guest RooRoo
what' s a dew claw??

i second this question I dont know either :blink:

The dew claw is the "thumb" if you will - the toe that is on the inner part of the dog's foot, usually about 3" away from the other toes. It's not uncommon for greys to rip them when running - not fun.

Actually I don't think I've seen a grey without one. I don't know why some do and some don't

ETA: Ola, sorry I was typing when you posted. Your explanation is better - thanks!

Edited by RooRoo

Guest greytmonty
what' s a dew claw??

i second this question I dont know either :blink:

The dew claw is the "thumb" if you will - the toe that is on the inner part of the dog's foot, usually about 3" away from the other toes. It's not uncommon for greys to rip them when running - not fun.

Actually I don't think I've seen a grey without one. I don't know why some do and some don't

ETA: Ola, sorry I was typing when you posted. Your explanation is better - thanks!

A dew claw is the thing your greyhound rips off when running like crazy. It serves the purpose of keeping the vets busy! :unsure:lol:unsure

Guest rosebudd

ohh ok Leo does not have it! Which the other day I found myself counting ok I only clipped 4 nails where is the 5th lol couldnt find it so he doesnt have one :colgate

Guest kgildea

Ty has his. Honey does not. She has scars where they used to be-- must have been removed at some point before we adopted her.

Guest Hokiebuck

A lot of GHs get theirs removed when they are young (not sure how young). Its a very simple procedure. A lot of owners will have them removed when they have their GH's dental or spay/neutering. Especially if they lure course. Dew Claws can get caught in high grass or on the string that pulls the lure. A big pain in the tookus when they get ripped. Luckily Cash came sans dew claws.

All of my girls have their dew claws. I'm actually a bit surpised that Honey hasn't injured hers. The sit at about a 45 degree angle to her leg instead of laying close in.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest KennelMom

Our crew is about half and half when it comes to dew claws. I'd prefer they have them removed as puppies (less nails to trim! :P ) Elvis' dew claws stick out like thumbs on his leg...no idea how he hasn't snagged them on anything yet.

all of the greys we've had so far have had them...

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest CygnetC

Wally has front dew claws. Are they normally born with rear ones or not? Frankly I've never even thought about it. But I couldn't imagine Wally without his front dew claws. He uses them to scratch his face and hold his food. It would be sad for him not to have them!

Teeny has front AND rear (not a Grey). Though I'm still not THRILLED with her having rear dew claws (not nearly as attached as the front) she hasn't had a problem as of yet and I'm getting used to them.

Guest simile

Both of mine have dew claws. I was really surprised that they did. I thought it was common practice, especially with active, running dogs, to have them removed. When my husky had pups (15 years ago), my vet had the whole crew in before they were a week old for a healthy puppy and mom check up, and did the dew claws right then. Just a quick clip and some antiseptic and they were good to go.

Guest tricolorhounds

Savannah does not.. The 3 boys do.. I hate them :lol Greyhounds do not have rear dew claws... The breeds that I do know that are born with rear dew claws are Great Pyrenees and St Bernards..

My friend that use to breed Dobermans would have their dew claws removed when they had their ears cropped, about 8 weeks of age. I would imagine that Greyhound breeders have them removed at about the same age or even younger. It was a simple snip with the scissors and some cauterization...

Guest spudlover

Wow, we've had our fellow a month, and it hadn't occurred to me that he's not got dew claws until I saw this thread. Something of a relief - our friends' hound has torn his in the past.

Guest budsmom

Neither of mine have theirs, so I was surprised when I saw other hounds that still had them. I assumed that given their jobs, they would all have them removed to help prevent injuries, especially with that thin skin. Around here, almost all breeders of any kind of dog have them removed as puppies, it's usually even in the ads they run in the newspaper.