Another Allergy Question

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has been rubbing his eyes with his paws so much lately that he has rubbed them raw. Of course it sounds like allergies. Someone suggested Benedryl. I'd like to try this before I take him to the vet and he suggests the same thing. (I'm unemployed right now :huh ). Has anyone had any success and what dosage? Baby Benedryl? He's around 82lbs, and everything else seems fine, just his eyes, and he hates it when I clean them . . . .Thank you! So glad I have you all to turn to . . . . .

Guest Peanut

My Peanut had horrible allergies - to almost everything. We had great success with Benedryl. Regular 1 mg/# is the dosage. We only gave her 25 mg at 60 lbs with success.

25 mg is also the dosage I have used for greyhounds. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'd start with 25mg once or twice a day. Even that much made B pretty snoozy and he weighed 75 lbs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have you tried visine? Our vet said that it is safe and we saw a huge improvement when given after walks during pollen season.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest wilsontrixie

since benadryl comes in 25 and 50 mg tablets. the does for your boy would be 100 mg 2-3 times a day (as written on the canine antihistamine therapy sheet i have in front of me by Dr L Ackerman from the American college of veterinary dermatology)

have you changed foods lately? the most common dog food allergy is wheat but i have known dogs to be allergic to grass as well as many other plants.

any new cleaners?

think about what he may be allergic to, there are blood tests but they are expensive, see if you can figure out what on your own.

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks everyone! His eyes seem to be better now, he's stopped the rubbing. Now they are just raw. I got some benedryl, but I'm not going to use it yet, since he doesn't seem to be bothered right now. I'm thinking it was just seasonal with all of the pollen in the air. I'm going to print this thread to have handy in case he starts doing it again. Now, if I could just get his hair to grow :blink: Poor guy is so bald on his rear :rolleyes:

As Batmom said, when you need to use it I would start with 25mg of plain Benadryl, you can always increase to 50mg if need be. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Also, I use a cold washcloth and wash Hogan's face and eyes everyday to keep some of the grass pollen off him. It helps the eye rubbing a little bit. If Hogan's been running through the field, he gets a good rinse in the shower. Like Batmom said, 1/2 a dose helps too-as the full dose makes them sleep a lot.

Might also try adding fish body oil to his food. Omega-3 fatty acids are helpful for fighting inflammation anywhere in the body. They come in 1000 mg capsules. I throw a bunch in their bowls. Been doing it so long, they think it is food. :chow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

It may be allergies, or it may be that something just irritated his eyes - that can be a vicious cycle, I know from experience. The eye is irritated, so they rub it, which can irritate it more, etc.

If it's just a minor thing, you can use chamomile tea on a cotton ball to soothe it and help it heal.

Guest SoulsMom
Also, I use a cold washcloth and wash Hogan's face and eyes everyday to keep some of the grass pollen off him. It helps the eye rubbing a little bit. If Hogan's been running through the field, he gets a good rinse in the shower. Like Batmom said, 1/2 a dose helps too-as the full dose makes them sleep a lot.

Good idea! I'll do that!

Might also try adding fish body oil to his food. Omega-3 fatty acids are helpful for fighting inflammation anywhere in the body. They come in 1000 mg capsules.

Yup, he's been getting 2000 per day for about 6wks now . . . . .

It may be allergies, or it may be that something just irritated his eyes - that can be a vicious cycle, I know from experience. The eye is irritated, so they rub it, which can irritate it more, etc

I think you might be right on here . . . . .when I catch him rubbing I tell him to stop, but I can't be awake all the time :huh I caught him rubbing in the middle of the night last night . . . . .

Guest SoulsMom
It may not be allergies. How are his ears/nose/feet? Could be an auto immune disease. :P

Yup, I'm worried about this too. Reason I thought it was allergies is because they started getting raw when I saw him rubbing them. We're off to the vet on Friday for a workup. I'll talk to him about his thyroid, allergies, and lupus. Murphey's Law, dogs get sick when you're out of work :blink: