Osteomyelitis In Greyhounds

Guest kathydoctor

Guest kathydoctor

My 7 yo ex racing greyhound, Hunter, was diagnosed with osteomyelitis on May 13, 2007, infection of the bone, of the wrist after a very scary initial diagnosis of osteosarcoma. The signs and symptoms were very similar. If my rescue group had not supported me, and the fact that I am a human doctor who kept looking at his symptoms as if he were a human, , he probably would have died from infection over the week end with a fever to 107.

Has anyone else had experience with osteomyelitis in their grey hounds?

Specifically, complications, length of antibiotics,

Thanks

Kathy

Guest LynnM

Dr Bill is going to be the authority on the subject. I'm not a vet, but here's my 2 cents, having dealt with way too many bone infections.

If you're a human MD, then you already know what to do. Dogs aren't any different. If you haven't already, take a sample and send off for a C&S. While the sample's incubating, a combination of Baytril (enrofloxacin) and Clavamox seems work very well at knocking the infection down, if not fully clearing it. Once the C&S is back, the meds can be changed or reduced (if it's sensitive to a less expensive med like Clindamycin or Ciprofloxacin then by all means, go for it!). 4 weeks on meds is minimal (and only if you're using something that is especially nephrotoxic). 6-8 weeks is better. It *can* take as long as 6 months to clear, but that's unusual. I've seen it once and hope never again!

Where things get a little ornery is if the C&S shows something that's only sensitive to heavier duty drugs like gentamicin and amikacin. Gentamicin can only be given in dogs for a week before the chances of renal failure become pretty high. For that week, it is ideally given with SQ fluids. Amikacin is easier on the kidneys, but you HAVE to give it with fluids to dilute the sting (if you can get 9-10 cc's in a dog without extra fluids, you're WAY better than me!). You also want to encourage the dog to stay hydrated (wet his food down a LOT).

Some folks have used the oral marbofloxacin or orbifloxacin for tougher bone infections, but if you're able to do injectables at home (it's all SQ in dogs), that's a lot cheaper and more of a "sure thing" since you don't have to worry about the dog throwing the meds up or something like that.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes in real life, but adding pentoxyfilline (Trental) q12h is also done sometimes. The theory is that, as a blood thinner, it enables more of the antibiotics to get to the infection. Long boned dogs like greyhounds don't tend to have a lot of tissue, and therefore blood supply, surrounding the spots that tend to break and get infected. That's also why longer durations on antibiotics are preferable for these guys. Try dealing with a bone infection in the calcaneous process.... it's *so* much fun...

For comfort, the dog can have any of the NSAIDS appropriate for dogs (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Meloxicam) and Tramadol or Propoxyphene if necessary. Running cold hose water on it feels good to a lot of dogs and helps a great deal with inflammation. Keep the dog VERY quiet- potty walks only. These infections have a nasty way of compromising the bone (I'm sure you've seen the x-rays). It will repair in time, but for the next several weeks, he should have leashed potty walks only.

Hope this helps a little and that he's feeling better soon!

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Prayers for Hunter. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LolasMom

I just got this developed today. This is Kathy's sweet boy Hunter, saying "hi".

I haven't even had the time to show her yet.

:wub::wub::wub:

Guest kathydoctor

Thanks LynnM and all of you sending your thoughts and prayers.

Hunter has been on Clavamox for 2 months and Baytril initially for the first month.

He's doing great. Eating, playing, smiling, wagging his tail and happy again.

He's regained 8 of the 13 pounds he lost.

He limps a little and whines sometimes but all in all he is almost himself again.

His next xrays are on July 16.

I'd love to hear from Dr Bill.

Everyone tells me osteomyelitis in greyhounds is very rare, but I'll take it over osteosarcoma any day.

Thanks

Kathy

Hope he continues to do well. Handsome fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.