Rimadyl Vs Deramaxx

Oliver is nearly 13 and recently started Rimadyl for arthritis. No side effect problems. However his recent front foot tendon injury (on Tramadol x one week) still makes him limp.

Gracie is 7. Injured her shoulder after running. Gave her Rimadyl for 2 days but saw no improvement (but loose bowels) Vet gave her a steroid injection that helped for a few days. Continues to limp but no yelping. I tried another 2 days of Rimadyl and she had diarrhea today.

Vet didn't think either dogs' injury needed to be xrayed. Thorough physical exam was done.

Should I ask the vet to change to Deramaxx? Would this product work better? What doseage? (Oliver about 80 lbs, Gracie 74 lbs.)

Oy! I've got 2 limpy greys and one mutt who just upchucked her dinner (because she ate too fast).

Also, have any of you switched from Rimadyl to it's new, less expensive generic form "Novox"?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Dreamaxx worked far better than anything else for Rex, but his pain was pretty severe. It is supposed to be very hard on the gut, but we never had any issues in that area, even though he had an iffy tummy.

I could be torally wrong, but Deramaxx seems like a bit of overkill for arthritis to me. :dunno

Rex was 90# and was on 100mg then we went up to 150. The generic cost us almost $4 a 100mg. pill.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest LynnM

Nope.... their possible side effects are the same, as is their level of effectiveness. One medication might work better or worse for one individual dog. It's just like how some people prefer ibuprofen over naproxen for their own aches and pains.

*If* a dog experiences side effects or *if* the medication seems to lose effectiveness, then you should talk to your vet about switching to something else (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam and Previcox can all be used pretty interchangeably). There's no reason to just arbitrarily switch, though.

Lynn

Guest K9_Lady

I agree it depends on the dog. My Belgian Malinois get a half of a Deramaxx pill only when he has a bad day for his Arthritis/Hip Dysplasia. It helps him very much but he gets it on the average of 4X's a month only. Plus he is on Adaquan injections which is another miracle drug for him!

Years ago my GSD was on Rimadyl which didn't help him and made him sick.

After Beau's surgery we were given Deramax and I really think it helped him a lot. When I ran out, he had a bad day and I gave him the Rimadyl we had in the house and I definitely saw that he was not as comfortable as he was with the Deramax.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest crazy4greys

Autumn has been on Previcox, used for Osteoarthritis, for 2 weeks now. She was limping on her hind left leg and the vet put her on this med instead of Rimadyl and the Deremaxx didn't work. She is starting to prance around the yard again (she doesn't run). It seems to help. Ask your vet about it. My vet said they are starting to use this instead of Rimadyl.

Here is the link Previcox

We've had real good luck with the metacam. We used the liquid (I've read there is a pill) and I liked that it was working within a half hour (usually withing 20 min.) It was easy to dose, too, being a liquid. It's supposed to be easier on the tummy than the others.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest brindlebutt

Sorry to raise another question in this post -- but does anyone have a recommendation for post surgery? Forrest is facing a toe amputation because of a bone problem, and as he faces a long recovery, and I want him to have the best.

Edited by brindlebutt

Guest LynnM

Talk to your vet. When it comes to pain control, the only thing two vets will ever agree on is that the third vet is wrong!

There are many, many ways to handle post-operative pain. I'd go with what your vet recommends, that way if something happens that's out of the ordinary (doesn't usually, but you never know), it'll be simpler for him to figure out what's wrong and make changes.

Lynn