Are You A Blackhead Picker?

Guest ChasesMum

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Yup, I'm a picker here too. I once had a boy come in that was unbelievably covered... I've never seen, nor have I seen anything like it since BJ. Oh geeze.... I squeezed out what I could before he got irritated with me, then I covered it with a really warm (not too warm though!) wash cloth to steam it, wiped it off, steamed it again, then coated the area in Noxema and let that sit for 10 minutes, then wiped it off and steamed again, then wiped off. Once it dried up from being moist, I sprayed the area with Schreiners Herbal Solution. I did use Biore face strips on him too, GROSSS what came out!!!!!! It took a long time of continuous work but they did clear up. It covered his whole sternum right down to his sheath. He'd have big fat round blackheads come out that left gaping holes in his skin, and some that I wondered just how long are they?? Oh yeah, hands down BJ was the grossest hound ever.

Once he cleared up though, he was a GEORGOUS black and white boy who found his forever home.... round about 8 years ago!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest doggiehappiness

Okay, kind of icky, but could someone possibly post a picture of the blackheads on a grey? Is this a weird question, or what?

Sorry, I guess someone posted a picture, but for some reason it isn't showing on my screen. I guess I'll have to live with the mystery. Ernie has a smooth, blackheadless belly anyhow...

Guest Bebe

Bebe has had them and it seemed to be worse when she was laying on her belly outside in the yard. At least I know that she wasn't the only one with them. Her's were only on the immediate chest area that contacted the ground.

I'm a picker when she's got them and a grinner when they're gone.

Edited by Bebe

Guest SabrinaInDE

This isn't a great picture, but here are Max's. I've been working on these forever, he used to have twice as many.

100_1436.jpg

omg I thought yu were talking about your face!!! I didn't know greys get blackheads...going to look at my dog right now...lol

ps..that nose picking booger is the grossest post i have seen so far...lol. But I am sure someone can top that :P

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest ishapespace

My name is Britt, and I am a picker.

Berry White's belly was HORRIBLE when he came to us. Warm soapy washes and a little squeezing made it better. Now, it's just some here and there.

Guest MrsDooLittle

Well I thought you meant YOUR OWN blackheads! I had no idea that dogs can get them! I am going to go inspect my hounds now....because I too like squeezing blackheads. What does that mean I wonder......hmmmmm.......

Cindy

Guest dmona

One of my foster's has/had them. I use Stridex Sensitive Skin patches. It was unreal how a bunch of them just "wiped" off. I am continuing to use them every other day and they are much better.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 20PawsinAlaska
We call this monkey love in my house :)

:rotfl This cracks me up. Jack has been home 4 weeks. The vet said the black stuff on his belly was pigmentation from so much rubbing. NO, it's blackheads. The last 2 nights we've been squeezing, warm compress and his belly is almost clear. He pretty much slept through the whole thing. Pretty exciting Friday/Saturday night. :blush

Wish I'd taken before and after pics. His affected area was about the size of a dollar bill folded in half.

Yes, I was another secret picker!

Doc had a big patch of these on the point of his chest when he first came to me, having always lived in kennels where I guess the bedding and the floors were not always clean. Sometimes it would look a bit inflamed - I asked the adoption kennels for advice and they recommended putting on some Sudocrem (a medicated barrier cream more commonly used for nappy rash and bed sores!).

The Sudocrem soothed the inflamation and also softened up the blackheads so they popped out more easily. Doc found the warm washcloth method rather alarming for some reason, so I would wait until he was roaching and just squeeze away for ten minutes or so, until he got fed up, and then clean up with a bit of witch-hazel on cotton wool.

He had some on the bald patches on his thighs as well, but the vet prescribed some antibiotic ointment for those, which in retrospect I think was probably overkill!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

• 3 months later...
This isn't a great picture, but here are Max's. I've been working on these forever, he used to have twice as many.

100_1436.jpg

This is what Summer's belly looks like--so they ARE blackheads. I had wondered, but was told no....so I guess I'll start working on them. I think she'll let me, she lives for tum-tums. (Belly rubs.)

Guest RocketDog

I am an obsessive picker. I'll admit, it's part of my fascination with my little Chinese Crested rescue boy - he gets blackheads, whiteheads, all sorts of stuff. I have good skin, but his is bad enough to require special medicated baths and stuff, and I have to manually extract a lot of goo. FUN!!!

Guest greyhoundis

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... almost my favorite thing - but have you ever had a seed wart on their head - OMG that is heaven - I tell Earlywine all the time if he would grow another one he would be my favorite. :lol

OK, I got home and I went to work on Summer, who was very cooperative for the first 30 minutes, then started to protest. I felt so mad, she had massive clumps of blackheads--like blackheads on blackheads. I got out the worst of them before she decided enough (she just started squirming to hide her tummy), but I can see where it could take people up to a year--after all the work I did, there's still a lot more to get out!

Guest StriderDog
I've never heard of this! Are dog blackheads something that can make them sick or uncomfortable?

No, they're just ugly - like people blackheads.

Guest EMcElfresh

Haha - Gordon had a bunch when we first got him, and I picked him clear. He used to give me the stink eye if I picked for too long...poor baby. haha...I am always "checking" him and Pepper for reocurrences, but thus far, no luck. Guess I keep them too clean!! hah! :lol

Guest chigal950
OK, I got home and I went to work on Summer, who was very cooperative for the first 30 minutes, then started to protest. I felt so mad, she had massive clumps of blackheads--like blackheads on blackheads. I got out the worst of them before she decided enough (she just started squirming to hide her tummy), but I can see where it could take people up to a year--after all the work I did, there's still a lot more to get out!

30 minutes....seems to me she was quite tolerant. That's a lot of picking.

Our Tai arrived with a bellyful, the worst was over in a couple of months but I would say a year before they were entirely cleared up. So I guess I am in the picker club too. You go for the ones that are 'ready' to come out, the others will eventually become ready. Compresses help.

The theory given to me was that the pores on their bellies get plugged if they lay upright most of the time...as when crated extensively.

Guest lynne893

ok, apparently timber does have blackheads! ewww! i'd never even considered this. i'll probably try the gentle warm washcloth treatment. i don't think she or i could stomach picking them. :blink:

30 minutes....seems to me she was quite tolerant. That's a lot of picking.

I will cheerfully admit to having been blessed twice with two very patient and tolerant greyhounds--there are times I think I could be a murderous psychopath poking their eyes out with a red-hot poker and they'd let me do it.

I'm still working on Summer's tummy--it's MUCH better, and it seems less like there's one layer of blackheads atop another. The compresses help--compresses first, picking as needed. She still lets me do it, and still begs for tum-tums (tummy rubs) whenever I walk by, so I guess she's not terribly bothered by it, or she senses it's 'for her own good'. :lol