Bald Patches Redux

Guest brandi007

Guest brandi007

Well Hannah has some bald patches and they've only gotten worse. She's been diagnosed with Lyme disease and I'm dealing with that ,but the Bald patches are un-related. She has a large one (pictured below) on her side that's doubled in size since this picture was taken, plus 2 more have cropped up - one on the side of her neck and one on the top of her neck. They seem to be really itchy as she is definitely the itchiest dog I've had.

I had a skin scraping done and it came back negative for Scabies....I think my vet is ripping me off and I'm lost as to what to do. He wants to do blood tests and a biopsy but I'd like to avoid the biopsy at all costs. I really don't think he knows what he's doing and I'm at a loss as to what direction I should be going with this - so is he. I"m just looking for some direction if any of you have it.

Picture_341.jpg

Thanks so much from me and Hannah

Guest BlackandBrindle

Poor little bean :(

I'd definitely take her to another vet- they don't have to necessarily be grey savvy, but willing to learn. Although most vets nowadays are very aware of greyhounds' special needs when in comes to anesthesia and such.

Is there a dermatologist type vet around you?

Guest lotsagreys4me

I would go directly to a dermatologist. thats your best bet for this kind of thing. Please let us know how this turns out.

Ringworm? (Let me know if you can't open this link - I'm not sure if this is something I subcribed to.)

Do you give her any omega-3 fatty acids, like fish body oil? Won't help with an infection but is great for helping the skin overall.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BlackandBrindle

This is simply from a google search so I don't know anything about them, but maybe they could point you in the right direction...

Canadian Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

110-5401 Temple Drive NE, Calgary, Alberta T1Y 3R7

tel.: 403-285-5111

fax: 403-285-5154.

Guest brandi007

Holy crap BlackandBrindle, that's the number for the vet I was thinking of switching too! Thanks so much for looking that up, I didn't even know there was vet dermatologists

I thought it might of been ringworm but it's not contagious as it hasn't spread to Sophie, Scrizz or anyone else in the house - so I'm kind of ruling that one out. I do give her the cold water fish oil that's sold at pet stores...is there a better one I can give?

Guest BlackandBrindle

We give Grizzly Salmon Oil and prefer it over others we've used. It helps keep the dandruff down and Sadie is shiny shiny from it.

If you are thinking of changing vets to that practice, I'd call and make an appointment. I believe in signs ;)

I've found that when you have doubt in a vet, you can't have a very good relationship with them. You should be able to trust your vet implicitly. I didn't listen to my instincts and it cost Spud a lot so now I go with my gut.

Guest brandi007

I totally agree - I just want to finish this whole Lyme thing with my current vet because it involves me sending her blood to Arizona (hi!) for testing and he has all the contact info etc. Ugg...so frustrated - I'm at about $700 with Hannah in vet bills in the last few months and we haven't cured the Lyme or figured out her skin problem....Poor little bean face, the skin scrapings looked so sore :(

You won't cure Lyme, you can only treat the symptoms when they pop up.

My vet has Ryan on Derm Caps which is a combo of Omega 3 and 6 - his skin was much better before he started taking it. He's got very very dry and flaky skin. I can't say the Derm Caps led to it, but it sure as heck isn't helping it.

Staph or ringworm.

One having ringworm doesn't mean the others will have it. Heck, I've had it, and nobody -- dog or person -- has ever caught it from me.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest brandi007

Well I've got an appointment with the dermatologist and am very excited. I didn't even think of Staph - as for the ringworm, I thought it was very contagious? I had a mouse with it and had to wash my hands every time I touched her. I thought about Thyroid but don't they usually lose it on their butts/throats/bellies? I just thought that with the random bald patches cropping up in different places and being itchy it wouldn't be a thyroid problem.

Lyme - Hannah never actually showed any signs of Lyme. She wasn't limping or anything, the only reason I found out about it was when I tried to enter her in the blood donor program she came back with a positive for Lyme and she did have some ticks on her when she came up (She was like a little bus with illegal immigrants hopping the border from the US to Canada!). She did one month of the Doxy at 500 mgs a day and came back still positive - so we're doing another 2 weeks - poor thing, hurts her stomach :(

Good! Let us know what happens on your appointment. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest brandi007

I honestly don't know anything about Tick diseases as we don't have ticks where I am. It's not exactly a common ailment in these parts and most of the vets have never had to deal with it. I'm just following what the vet in Arizona is telling me to do.