I Think Neyla Has Pannus

I know there have been a lot of posts about Pannus lately, and I wish I weren't adding one, but I think Neyla may have it. Her right eye has been red for a while now, and the eye has also been a little bit goupy - not a tremendous amount, but her eyes aren't really goupy at all usually. I noticed it, but didn't see anything obviously wrong so didn't worry much. Last night I noticed though that her eyelid on the inside corner of her eye is cloudy. Maybe it's all the talk about Pannus that made me notice, or maybe it wasn't like that a few weeks ago, but there is definitely something wrong as there is no similar cloudiness on the other eyelid.

Is there anything else that this could be? I'm going to take her straight to an opthomolagist this time, waiting for someone to forward me the info on one that was recommended. In the meantime, thought I'd ask around. I'm also curious, I had my vet test her for Pannus a few years ago. Is it more likely my vet missed it, or that it only just developed? What made me think she had it last time was something totally different, and I think a normal part of her eye, so I can't necessarily blame my vet, I'm just curious.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It's *most* likely that she doesn't have it! No, seriously (she said, keeping fingers and toes crossed). Usually red goopy eye is infection or foreign body or scratched cornea. Not allowed to panic till you've seen the vet. :)

Best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HeatherDemps

With Dempsey, there has never been any kind of discharge from the eye. To me, it sounds more like an infection. My cat has allergies and when those are really acting up, his eyes look the way you've described.

It's *most* likely that she doesn't have it! No, seriously (she said, keeping fingers and toes crossed). Usually red goopy eye is infection or foreign body or scratched cornea. Not allowed to panic till you've seen the vet. :)

Best luck.

Yup, I agree with Batmom. That being said, however, we used a great veterinary opthalmologist over in Bowie, Dr. Wight (I think that's the spelling - if you google "veterinary opthalmologist Maryland", you'll find her.

Hoping it's nothing serious. :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sirocco was diagnosed with pannus a few years ago. He had the red eye with clouding in the corner also. Also, more eye discharge than the others. If a dog has to have a chronic condition, pannus is the one to have. It make take some med adjustments to get it under control, but is then fairly easy to maintain. His cyclosporine and prednisolone cost less per month than a bag of dog food. Dogs don't absorb enough of the steroid systemically for there to be a concern about long-term side effects. It takes more time to pass out morning cookies than to put in his eye drops.

Good Luck!

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest greytmonty
Sirocco was diagnosed with pannus a few years ago. He had the red eye with clouding in the corner also. Also, more eye discharge than the others. If a dog has to have a chronic condition, pannus is the one to have. It make take some med adjustments to get it under control, but is then fairly easy to maintain. His cyclosporine and prednisolone cost less per month than a bag of dog food. Dogs don't absorb enough of the steroid systemically for there to be a concern about long-term side effects. It takes more time to pass out morning cookies than to put in his eye drops.

Good Luck!

Ditto, so far it is no biggie at our house.

Guest KennelMom

Caesar's eyes had redness and a definite whitish film to the eye. His was always very easily controlled with inexpensive prednisolone drops. At first it was every couple days but over the course of three years before he went to the Bridge it was upped to once a day.

I managed to get some pictures this morning. Would love to hear what you guys think after looking at these. If the resounding answer is it still doesn't seem like pannus, I will probably just see my vet first. However, if anyone thinks this does look like it, I'll be calling the two opthomologists I got recommendations for today to see when they can see us. I may end up doing that anyway just for peace of mind, but want to get your input as always.

The "good" eye:

Pannus012.jpg

Pannus003.jpg

The bad eye (look at the inside corner):

Pannus008.jpg

Pannus006.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest KennelMom

I see the redness, but that doesn't look like a "pannus eye" to me. At least not the three greys I've seen with pannus - one of my own and two fosters. Here's a couple pics of our former foster Mickey the day or two after we brought him home. He had untreated pannus (until we got him and started treatment). Anyhoo...you can see there's almost a milky film that grows over the eye in addition to the redness and obvious eye irritation. I just remembered I had these pics :blush

When Caesar was first diagnosed, he had a lot of that brown stuff and redness in the white of his eye....and just a bit of white film creeping along the edges of his eye.

MIckey-pannus1.jpg

MIckey-pannus2.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

I see the redness, but that doesn't look like a "pannus eye" to me.

If you compare the two eyes, where the eyelid (or what I think is the eyelid) is a normal brown in her left eye, it's totally white in her right. That what makes me think it's pannus of the eyelid (rarer, and different than what most dogs get). It could obviously be something else, just pointing out the difference b/w the two eyes. It took me about two months to notice it so it might not be obvious to anyone else. :P

That what makes me think it's pannus of the eyelid (rarer, and different than what most dogs get).

I'm sure you know this already, but that's the type that Kane has.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest KennelMom
That what makes me think it's pannus of the eyelid (rarer, and different than what most dogs get).

I'm sure you know this already, but that's the type that Kane has.

Huh...Well, ya learn somethin' new every day!

I have no idea then :P

Okay, after calling my vet and Dr. Weigt, the opthomolagist that Meredith recommend (who happens to be in Laurel BTW! :yay) we have an appt to see Dr. Weigt on Monday. I sort of labored over whether skipping straight to the eye dr was smart or not, but my vet is out until Tuesday, her sub can't see me this weekend anyway, and Dr. Weight happened to have an opening on Monday when she's otherwise generally booked and agreed to see us without a referral. So off we go.

$135 to walk in the door, plus around $50 for the tear and eye pressure tests I'm sure she'll do - whoohoo. But I will have peace of mind and as my friend said, even if it's not pannus, Dr. Weigt will still be able to definitively diagnose and treat whatever IS going on. Wish us luck. Our appt is in the afternoon so I'll probably report back on Tuesday morning. Thanks to everyone who gave input.

Edited by NeylasMom

Guest nieciet06

Jen,

You'll really like Dr Weigt. She's who I took my foster, Udon, to see. It's also so great the her office is convenient and easy to find. It's right off Cherry Lane. Keep us posted!

Denise

You'll like her, Jen. She's very thorough and will answer all of your questions and explain everything to you. I know she did that with Denise when Udon went in, and when I spoke to her as follow-up, she was fantastic. And how great you could get in so quickly! Keep us posted!

So the brown stuff is pannus?

Attila used to have brown spotting on the white of his eye. I kept insisting to the vet that he had pannus, but was told, "nope."

No, the brown stuff is just pigment.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Great news, no pannus! Dr. Weigt couldn't actually find anything wrong, which I'm surprised by. According to her, that eyelid is just not pigmented, which isn't abnormal. However, that doesn't explain the redness and goop I was seeing. But she didn't feel there was anything wrong at all. I'll ask my vet to also look as we'll be in soon to follow-up on the toe issue (our orthopedist appt is Thursday). So I feel a little silly for jumping the gun :blush but more importantly I'm happy nothing is actually wrong. :yay

Great news, no pannus! Dr. Weigt couldn't actually find anything wrong, which I'm surprised by. According to her, that eyelid is just not pigmented, which isn't abnormal. However, that doesn't explain the redness and goop I was seeing. But she didn't feel there was anything wrong at all. I'll ask my vet to also look as we'll be in soon to follow-up on the toe issue (our orthopedist appt is Thursday). So I feel a little silly for jumping the gun :blush but more importantly I'm happy nothing is actually wrong. :yay

Great news!