One Year Ago Today

mareyeka

One year ago today, I brought our 9-yr old golden to the vet because I knew something was wrong.

We stayed there for about an hour and we learned that Rox was very, very ill and suffering terribly. But, Rox, being the incredibly trooper that he was, did not show us his pain, and tried to please us to the very end.

My kids were still home from school so I asked for some time. I brought Rox home to the rest of the family for a few more hours of love.

We talked to him and pet him, and even fed him every treat in the house. He loved his treats and, no matter how sick he was, he lifted his head and wagged his tail at the thought of yet another tasty morsel. We finished that bag and let him lick it clean.

I couldn't believe that with each passing moment, Rox was that much closer to the bridge.

I didn't allow him to be alone. There was always someone with him, then, after supper, it was time.

Our oldest son, then 16, chose to come with us, to say good bye to his best friend.

It was so hard to see him leave us. The vet and assistants were wonderful. We couldn't have asked for more caring souls, but it hurt oh so much.

My Rox is gone from our home, but never from our thoughts.

Rox, thank you for sending Oscar to us. We adore him, but there is a spot in our hearts that will never be filled. You taught my children to love you for your silliness, your playfulness and your devotion to them.

You were my constant companion and always up for a game of catch-the-dmn tennis ball. Hide and seek will always be associated with you.

We'll see you again one day Rox. Please stay safe at the bridge until then.

Roxwindow.jpg

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest DogGone

I am so sorry - that was a beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul. Rox is waiting for you at the bridge, and someday you will have a grand reunion.

Guest auntiesara

What a touching story. You're so fortunate that you had a little extra time for the family to say goodbye. What a good boy to send you Oscar!

Sara