Greyhounds In Ireland

Guest Bones_Sox63

Guest Bones_Sox63

Spare a thought for these poor greyhounds, they didn't have a chance.

IN: 5th November 2004

Greyhound, male, black.............. pts 5/11/04

Greyhound, male, white.............. pts 5/11/04

Greyhound, female, grey............ pts 5/11/04

They were surrendered by a farm who deals in greyhounds for the racing gang. They board them, train them and whatever and then when they are no longer wanted, they leave it up to this farm to dispose of them. The easy "no cost" option is to take them to the pound and in spite of the 5 or 6 people working to get dogs out of this pound they were executed immediately.

In Ireland Greys are seen as livestock and rarely as pets so they have no chance in the land of their birth. We regularly bring dogs over from Ireland and it is easy, much cheaper than Spain so could we not help the Greys in Ireland as well as those in Spain? I know that people on this group do take dogs from Ireland as well as ourselves but I think it needs a central voice to focus on the Greys in Ireland and to fight their corner for them.

Perhaps this is the placehttp://www.dogrescueireland.com/index.htm] http://www.dogrescueireland.com/index.htm[/url]

But for today please weep for these three un-named, unknown Greyhounds who were never given the chance to find a home.

Godspeed little ones, may you enjoy a kinder, gentler world.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Guest_Patricia_*

I agree that the plight of the Irish greyhound is very sad. There are people trying to make a difference. Our 9.5 year old female greyhound (listed as lurcher on her export papers) was adopted as a puppy rescue when Louise Coleman (Greyhound Friends) was helping with rescue work in Ireland. The litter was going to be destroyed because the father could not be documented and Louise brought them back to the States for adoption. It will always be hard for me to understand why people have no compassion for the greyound or any other living thing. :(

Guest caiteag

I'm sitting here sobbing for these three babies.. and all the others, wherever they are in the world, who are pts for no good reason.

Go to the Bridge little ones, and know that when we humans come to join our pets there, we'll adopt you too... as we would have here had we had the chance...

:weep:weep:weep:weep:weep:weep:weep:weep:weep

Guest LadyChester

Run free at the bridge, sweet hounds...I'm sorry we couldn't help you. My Irish gh, Lady, was one of the fortunate ones and I'm thankful to all those who made her adoption possible f_yellow:f_whitef_yellow

Guest TaniandMalachy

It's an awful situation which desperately needs wider attention, I agree.

There ARE some wonderful people working very hard to help Gh's in Ireland.

Mary, who sometimes visits this list, is one of them. I hope she won't mind me saying that she does amazing work Link with compassion and dedication, but the rescue dogs just seem to keep on coming....

If anyone out there wants to offer some practical help, please PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Thanks!

Tani :)

Guest adriahna

My thoughts go out to these, and so many other, poor animals, so disrespected in life, and disposed of so impersonably. Breathe, run and live in complete freedom now - no harmful hand can touch you.

I agree that the plight of the Irish greyhound is very sad.  There are people trying to make a difference.  Our 9.5 year old female greyhound (listed as lurcher on her export papers) was adopted as a puppy rescue when Louise Coleman (Greyhound Friends) was helping with rescue work in Ireland.  The litter was going to be destroyed because the father could not be documented and Louise brought them back to the States for adoption.  It will always be hard for me to understand why people have no compassion for the greyound or any other living thing. :(

1126491[/snapback]

My Twiggy is also Irish, also brought to the States by Louise Coleman.

She's the sweetest, sassiest girl in the world. The Irish greys are unique in so many ways, it's a crying shame that they all dont' get adopted out to families.

Keep up the good work Louise!