Sad News Re: Ej's Douglas

Cindy_Hanson

Many GTers have mentioned meeting EJ's Douglas, a Greyhound Hall of Fame inductee who has also been a resident at the HOF for the past few years.

I received a note today from Kathy at the HOF, who reports that Douglas has passed away, at age 13+, after a brief illness.

He leaves behind many memories.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

GOD SPEED SWEET BOY!!!

He was a wonderful dog on and off the track. You will be dearly missed :(

Sending deepest sympathy to the Hall of Fame staff. We visited there just last year. DH stopped by in January. God Speed little boy. :f_pink

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm sure EJ touched many, many hearts...so sorry for the loss of this sweet boy :(:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

:(:(:( Run free sweet babe.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

My sympathies to all whose lives he touched. Run free, fella. :gh_run

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Snowy8

Oh how sad...lots of love & slobber kisses to the owners, breeders, trainers, handlers, track staff, fans, off-spring, wanna be off-spring, staff at the Hall of Fame...Obviously a lot of people loved that big ole pup.

Now he's on the other side of the bridge where every pup is equal & no one is famous, but they are all loved & missed by those left behind.

He held many records, several still standing at Southland. :f_red:gh_lay

Guest rockingship

I never had the honor of meeting EJs Douglas.....and I'm sorry to say, I never even got a chance to see him race in person. You can see by his photo on Greyhound Data, that he was a remarkably sturdy looking fellow, his stance appearing to be so aggressively powerful, that he has an almost terrier-like bearing.

He was a watershed performer on the racetrack, and a respectable and accomplished sire. His exploits on the racetrack place him among--- and near the fore--- of the smallest minority of the historical racing population.....

I have a copy of a film of him racing....he breaks alertly, rushes the turn aggressively, and from the second flight around the turn, he instantly and deftly brings another gear to bear upon the competition, and while hugging the rail, explodes by those who are near him, and sets out after the leader of the race, a long-striding , dark coated dog, who is winging away unchallenged, and seemingly with an insurmountable advantage, as they straigthten out onto the backstretch....it is at this point, that EJs Douglas calls upon some supernatural gift, heretofore relegated only to bestowal upon the feathered, winged creatures, like the eagles and ospreys.....and in moment of sheer and utter unreality, like some screeching, scorching projectile, he unleashes a mercurial, disdainful burst of speed, past the leader, and lengths clear of him before they have even reached the far turn. Ejs Douglas runs that turn as if he is attatched to the rail by some invisible, gyroscopic device, so precise and economical are his actions, so dynamic and brilliant is his leg speed.

He wins the race by and indeterminable distance, as when he reaches the wire, the others are out of the picture, nearly unsighted of the lure.

After one catches one's breath, and blinks one's eyes to relieve them of the smoke rising from the video screen---- it comes to pass that the race is a replay of his Biscayne Irish-Amercan victory......the greyhound he has just burst past and left in the pixie dust of a south Florida evening, is Hollywood World Classic Champion and All American, Great Son.

It is a performance for the ages.

And now, fittingly, he too, has become ageless. :):(

Edited by rockingship

Run free Dougie... I was proud to have met you!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest Broodmama

I am deeply saddened to read of EJ's Douglas's passing. It was such a honor to meet him and stroke his noble head just a few weeks ago. I cherish the memory.