Mono

Guest Hannah

When I first announced I was going to buy a house DF (was still just BF then) asked begged and pleaded with me to get a cat. I had only ever had dogs before, the closest I had been to owning a cat was the farm cat who ripped shreds out of your ankles and feeding a neighbours cat when they were on holiday. I said maybe and we will see and started to do some research on cats and what you needed to do.

The day I had the offer for the house accepted a guy at work put a notice on the board for a new home for his two cats as he was moving away, the cats didn’t travel and the place he was going had a no pets policy. I rang him and we chatted and talked cats, well he talked I listened and asked silly questions. And when I decided to take them we started to plot. I didn’t tell andrew where we were going that evening or why, just to pick me up and drive where I directed. Andrew is a shy person and my colleagues wife is small and bouncy and very outgoing. When we arrived she bounced over, grabbed andrew by the hand and announced loudly as she dragged him up the stairs "come with me, I have a surprise for you in my bedroom" The look of horror on his face was a picture but it rapidly turned into joy when the surprise turned out to be two tortoiceshell/calico kitties and then into extreme happiness when I told him they were coming to live with me when I got my house.

I moved into my new house on Wednesday 1st July 1998 and Mono and Fluffy arrived on Saturday 4th July 1998 and promptly hid under the spare bed. I rattled a box of kitty treats and Mono came straight downstairs, her love of food overcoming all fear of strange people and place. I read the book that said that cats are browsers and should always have food and water left out for them. After 10 days Mono didn’t fit through the cat flap and we discovered that Mono was not really a cat but a dwarfed piggy in a cats body. One serious diet and grossly offended mono cat later (whaddaya mean I cant eat fluffys too, you havent given me enough) she was slimmer and once more fit through the cat flap.

Mono and Fluffy were little :devil when they first arrived and I spent a good 9 months wondering if I had done the right thing taking them on and on more than one occasion I was ready to phone the rescue centre and ask them to take them away. But I didn’t and eventually we all settled into our new home and new life. Andrew moved in and brought boxes to play in and computer cables to chase, you were sisters from the same litter and almost 8 years old when we got you. We made your official birthdays 1st september as all we knew was early autumn.

Mono was never the brightest of creatures, you took a long time to work out glass doors even with stickers on them, you tried to go through the bits of door without stickers on, eventually the door was so full of nose and paw prints you realised there was a barrier there :lol

You caused me to laugh so much at your antics and cry in frustration when you preferred to use my shoes instead of a litter tray. You and fluffy didn’t like travelling so we bought you new big carry boxes but you still didn’t like it. You were going to stay with my parents while we went on holiday and that was a 35 mile journey so we started doing lots and lots of travelling with you in the hope that you would get used to it. One day we put you in your boxes and mono on the front passenger seat and I sat in the back with fluffy the theory was that if you could see a person you might be calmer. Fluffy was making such a horrible "Im gonna puke if you don’t stop the movement" noise that I let her out of her box, she sat on my knee and was silent. We pulled into a car park and let you both out to explore the inside of the car. On the way home fluffy was in a box in the front seat and you sat on my knee. The next day I went out and bought harnesses and leads for you both, you hated them and claimed they froze you solid, but it was amazing how unfrozen you became when I went into the kitchen and rattled the treat box :lol You enjoyed travelling after that and would sit on the parcel shelf shouting rude comments to pedestrians when we stopped at lights and junctions.

You had a good time at my parents, you frightened the life out of them one night by realising their room door wasn’t shut, so you went to investigate and discovered an open wardrobe door and joy of joys a crinkly scrunchy carrier bag to play with in there. My poor old mum and dad nearly died of fright when you started to 'kill' the carrier at 3am :lol you got quite attached to my littlest sister who still lives at home and would sit and cry if she went into a room without you and shut the door.

You loved to eat all sorts of things that are not part of a cats natural diet, garlic bread, pizza, doritos, bolognaise sauce, curry, chinese and chips. If we had Fish & Chips you always prefered chips (preferably with tomato sauce on) to the fish.

You moved house with us and discovered a back garden full of butterflies to chase and a sun trap to bask in, you always looked so dissapointed when the sun went in and then looked hurt when we wouldnt pick you up and cuddle you because you were too hot to hold.

You (eventually) accepted holly into our household and after a few hisses and boxes around the ears became good friends and discovered the joys of eating dog food and treats and sleeping in the dog bed by the radiator.

In may this year we had the normal family outing to the vets for the annual MOT, boosters and pick up of flea stuff and worming tablets, the vet found a lump in your stomach. The vet had you back in the next day for an aspiration and then a couple of days later to try and remove the lump. It was growing on and around a lymph node with a major blood vessel running through it, it was inoperable. We tried a course of chemo, you bit one of the vet nurses and then talked them all into sharing their lunches with you before coming home to demand double rations because you had been starved all day. The chemo didn’t work so you came home to bask in the sunshine and eat tuna and cream and all the things that we never let you eat lots of because they are bad for kittys. You went downhill fast in the end you were loosing 10% of your body weight a week even though the little pig inside was still going strong. We all cried so many tears as we tried to decide what was best for you, but you were still happy and still eating so we left it another day and another. One day you stopped eating and the next you stopped drinking. You tried to be sick but there was nothing there, not even froth. You were happy to be stroked but didn’t want cuddles. You didn’t move around and if you were forced to move it was slowly and although you were not in pain you didn’t look to be far from it. We took you to the vets that night, I held you in my arms and as the vet slid the needle in you bit me!

Your ashes are still in their box and the box is in the dresser where you used to try and climb in if the door was opened.

Be a happy kitty at the bridge, don’t be too grumpy and miserable and let the others have their turn at sitting on the windowsill above the radiator in the sun.

((((((((((Hannah))))))))))

I hope Mono is eating whatever she wants now, and fitting through all the cat flaps anyways.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That really was a lovely tribute to a very special cat. It made me laugh and it made me cry. I never met you in 'person' Mono, but I talked about you a lot with your Mum. Some of the things you put her through were too hillarious for words (well, I thought they were hillarious from afar :blink:). Your Mum did everything within her power to give you (and Fluffy) a wonderful life, and I know you lived it to the full (full being the word of course ;)). You were a special girl who will never be forgotten. Sit in the sun at the Bridge. Look up Amber if you get the chance :) Until we all meet again.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I am so sorry! I know Mono is basking in the sun and looking down upon you with much love until you meet again. :f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

its been 3 months and I still find myself looking for her or occasionally dishing up two sets of kitty breakfast.

there have been several occasions when ive been convinced ive heard her jumping up and down on the loose floorboards, if she was upset or annoyed at anything (food bowl is empty) then she would stomp around the house and when she got the loose floorboards would stamp her heavy little paws on the spot because she knew it irritated me. there was one very loose board in the hall and she was so put out the day we got new carpets and I asked the fitter to nail the board down :lol :lol

Guest BleusysMom

Mono worked the magic of 'kitty wiles' on you.....what an introduction, and now, a never to be forgotten memory-a Good memory....and soon you will smile when you think of Mono, instead of being sad....

Mono is working 'the kitty wiles' on all she comes near, up at the Bridge....basking in the sun.....