Nationwide to discontinue health insurance for pets

I don't use Nationwide's pet coverage, but many people with aging pets will likely find it difficult to get coverage elsewhere.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/nationwide-dropping-pet-insurance-100000

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This is terrible, and hits way too close to home for me (we're with Pets Best and have been pleased). I suspect they will lose a bunch of other policy holders for this move.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

After my experience with Healthy Paws (jacking up the rates to obscene levels when Logan got to be a senior), I don't trust any of these pet insurance companies. The point is to get the insurance while the dog is young and healthy and pay in, with the insurance company knowing it gets money at low risk early on and should then accept the higher risk when the dog gets to be a senior. But unlike human insurance, there is nothing obligating the company to fulfill its end of the bargain as your dog ages.

If you can afford it, I think you are better off putting the money aside in your own bank account and letting it accumulate over the years. Of course, not everyone can do that.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

1 hour ago, rsieg said:

After my experience with Healthy Paws (jacking up the rates to obscene levels when Logan got to be a senior), I don't trust any of these pet insurance companies. The point is to get the insurance while the dog is young and healthy and pay in, with the insurance company knowing it gets money at low risk early on and should then accept the higher risk when the dog gets to be a senior. But unlike human insurance, there is nothing obligating the company to fulfill its end of the bargain as your dog ages.

If you can afford it, I think you are better off putting the money aside in your own bank account and letting it accumulate over the years. Of course, not everyone can do that.

Totally agree with your point that most insurance companies are scum and the rate hikes outrageous, but having had two dogs in a row with osteo, I still feel it's better than socking away the equivalent amount in savings. We pay Pets Best a little over $50/month total for 6-year-olds Doolin and Willa, so even if we put quadruple that amount in savings, we'd be nowhere near the ~$20k we've spent on Willa's amp, chemo, x-rays, CT scan, biopsy, etc., the past year. Sweep's total bills were $27k, 90% of which was covered by Healthy Paws after we met our deductible. Obviously, these are worst-case scenarios (and Willa getting cancer at 5 is an outlier), but being able to authorize any and all treatments without worrying about cost has been hugely helpful when decision-making time is short and stress is high. And both dogs got many more good months thanks to those treatments.

Just wanted to provide this info since this monster of a disease takes so many of our hounds...and will soon be taking our Willa too. :cry1

• Like 1

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

30 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Totally agree with your point that most insurance companies are scum and the rate hikes outrageous, but having had two dogs in a row with osteo, I still feel it's better than socking away the equivalent amount in savings. We pay Pets Best a little over $50/month total for 6-year-olds Doolin and Willa, so even if we put quadruple that amount in savings, we'd be nowhere near the ~$20k we've spent on Willa's amp, chemo, x-rays, CT scan, biopsy, etc., the past year. Sweep's total bills were $27k, 90% of which was covered by Healthy Paws after we met our deductible. Obviously, these are worst-case scenarios (and Willa getting cancer at 5 is an outlier), but being able to authorize any and all treatments without worrying about cost has been hugely helpful when decision-making time is short and stress is high. And both dogs got many more good months thanks to those treatments.

Just wanted to provide this info since this monster of a disease takes so many of our hounds...and will soon be taking our Willa too. :cry1

Good counterpoints. I was fortunate enough that neither of my dogs had osteo (or any serious illness until the end).

• Like 1

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)