First Time Diarrhea

Samoeba

Hey all. My new 3 year old t  HD at I adopted a couple weeks ago had diarrhea for the first time and I was wondering if I could get some insight on how you feed your dogs if they get it. I’ve been recommended fasting for a day, then feeding her boiled chicken and rice a few times a day until it gets better. Maybe adding chicken purée to it. And take her to the vet if it continues for 2 or 3 days. What would you guys recommend? I’m a first time owner so this is new to me

Sorry, meant pumpkin purée.

Congrats on your new girl! What's her name? 

You have a reasonable plan: fasting for a day, then trying a bland diet of chicken and rice or oatmeal (mine prefer oatmeal to rice, and it firms up the poop well) before gradually introducing her regular food again. Pumpkin can help or hurt, so I'd leave that out for now. Olewo carrots (available on Amazon) are often helpful, and unlike pumpkin, won't potentially worsen the problem.

Not sure where you're located, but has your girl been tested for hookworms? They're incredibly common in US racers and often cause diarrhea. That's a whole other topic, but it would help us advise you better. She might also just be stressed from all the recent change.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Yes.  You want to fast at least 24 hours until the diarrhea stops, then gradually re-introduce bland food 1/4 cup at a time, every two hours, adding an additional 1/4 cup each time.  Stop immediately if the diarrhea starts again and get her into the vet.

Make sure to collect a fresh sample of her stool to take with you so they can check for parasites and giardia.

Ask them to check for hookworm, even if she's had a negative test previously (search here for threads on hookworms for more info).

A bland diet consists of a low fat protein source {poached or roasted chicken/turkey, well-rinsed ground beef (or chicken/turkey), poached white fish (tilapia, cod)}; and a high fiber carb source (overcooked rice or pasta, oatmeal, couscous and other grains).  If her diarrhea is something abruptly new, without any recent changes in diet, stick with the protein and carb in her main kibble.  If you did recently change her food, try a different combination as she may be intolerant or allergic to the new food.

Do not include any other supplements or additives at this point.  Once she's back on track, and cleared of any parasites or bacterial issues, you can consider a probiotic and/or adding fiber to her diet.

And get to the vet ASAP if you see blood in her stool or she begins vomiting (with or without blood).  Dehydration is an issue, so make sure she has fresh water available.

Good luck!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

So, if it wasn’t a change in food, I reintroduce her main kibble 1/4 cup at a time instead of a bland diet? And bring her to the vet if it continues after I start reintroducing it to her?

And if it continues throughout the 24 hours should I take her to the vet? So far it’s been about 12-13 hours and she just had diarrhea for the 3rd time 

If you've fasted her for 24 hours and she's still having diarrhea she needs to go to the vet.  Take in a fresh sample.  If the vet decides thay don't need it, it's easy to throw it away.  It's hard to get a sample right when you need it!  ;) 

Always re-introduce food with a bland diet.  If she's OK with that (no vomiting or diarrhea once she's eating again), begin mixing in her regular food slowly after another 24 hours.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly