New Greyhound Pooping/Peeing in Crate

I adopted my greyhound in August (a little over a month ago). She has been fearful from the beginning, but now will not go outside unless she absolutely has to go to the bathroom. The past week, that has been only in the mornings (pee and poop). She will exit the door and turn around to come back in. I have tried to push her to get her to move to get further into my yard (unfenced) to go to the bathroom, but I am unable to get her to move. I've tried many methods (waiting her out, treats, etc.). I live alone, so I am not strong enough by myself to carry her to get her outside to go potty. I have been trying to de-condition her, but she is not responsive to food. She is crated when I am away from the house. She is not vocal at all (or displaying other signs of anxiety) when left alone, but she has starting peeing and pooping in the crate. I'm thinking this is because she is not going enough outside, it could be anxiety, but I have a feeling if she had more regular potty breaks to relieve herself she would not be relieving herself in the crate. I'm hesitant to leave her uncrated when I know she will not have gone potty for a while by the time I get home and will likely go inside. I come home for lunch, so normally she would be getting a potty break every 4 hours if she would go.  

She is supposed to start Reconcile tomorrow to help with her outdoor anxiety, but I'm not sure what to do in the mean time to get her to outside to go potty more often? Since Reconcile can take 4-6 weeks to take effect. She is terrified of the car, so driving her to another location to do her business is not feasible. I don't want her to build the habit of going in the crate. She also needs to relieve herself more often for health reasons, it's not good for her to hold it so long and I know she's uncomfortable. I'm at a loss and at this point wondering if I am the best fit for her to get her where she needs to be. She is a very gentle good dog indoors (she is not timid indoors, she will lay with me and hang out with me), but outside she is scared of everything. 

What is your girl's name and how old is she? :)

A month in the life of a newly-retired racer is no time at all. Everything is new to her. There are numerous threads here regarding new hounds and their adjustments. You're right, once a day turnout is not enough. When she's out in the yard, is she on-leash?

Also, please reach out to your adoption group for help. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hi thank you very much for your reply. Her name is Rea and she will be 5 in November. She is on leash in the yard because I don’t have a fence. I contacted my adoption group who advised I should contact my vet for medication options at this point, so that is why we are starting on Reconcile. I try to take her out multiple times a day but she won’t budge. In the morning when she wakes up, she goes right out. 

It doesn't as tho Rea is exhibiting separation anxiety per se, if while you are away she is quiet and non-destructive. Do you have or can you set up a camera to witness her behavior? I'm no expert by any means, but from what you've told us I'm not convinced that Rea yet needs medication. *I* would try getting her out first thing for a quick P/P (heaps of praise when she goes, but don't frighten her with your enthusiasm lol); breakfast; let her rest while you get ready, then take her out again and give yourself extra time so that you aren't rushed and thinking that she needs to hurry because you'll be late for work. If she doesn't go, bring her right back in. Go home at lunch and see if she will willingly go out (and see if she has soiled her crate in the four hours since you left). If she's P/P twice in the morning, she may actually not have to go again until you get home. at the end of the day Do the same when you get home from work. In spite of your frustration, it is very important to keep a sing-song happy attitude with her because a hound will pick up on our anxiety asap and shut right down. Take your time with her, try hard not to rush her, and sing praises when she gives you what you're looking for. I've always attached a word to what I want, eg "Go wee" or "Go poop." 

An alternative to a crate can be an X-pen set up in the kitchen (easy to clean floor) with her bed, a toy and soft music. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I would agree, she does not exhibit separation anxiety to me. If she was able to go potty more often I believe she would not be going inside. Unfortunately I can’t get her 2 steps beyond the door except when after she wakes up in the morning. I’ve tried taking her out after her morning meal and given her a lot of time to ease into getting moving, but she won’t budge and then we go back inside. That’s why the medication route was suggested I think, though it’s something I’ve tried to avoid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has she been tested or retested for hookworms? They could contribute to the poop problem.

For near-immeditate anxiety relief as your vet for Amitriptyline. After trying all anxiety meds, essential oils, CBD, and Adaptil products, only the Amitriptyline worked. And started working within hours.

Prozac had been our second to last attempt and it made Howie much much worse. 

Ametrityline, per my vet, is generally used for arthritis pain (which he has) management, but has the additional benefit of easing anxiety. It is inexpensive, needs to be given every 12 hours and we've seen no side effects. While seeing my vet yesterday with a another dog she asked about Howie and said she is now recommending the Amitriptyline more often for similarly high anxiety dogs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png