My Stormy is a bit rebellious.

I've had her for about 2 years, so I'm not completely green, but I'm struggling with her becoming increasingly rebellious. She is an angel when someone is home in the room with her. She is confined to the basement/living room/bedroom (about 500sf). During the past year, she has become very curious and rebellious. If we leave the room, it seems she gets it in her mind that all house rules are suspended. I can leave food on the table when I'm there and she knows not to touch it, but if I forget to secure it, it'll be gone moments after I leave. She's recently taken to urinating, opening drawers, and riffling through the trash in the same manner. I once did a test: I set down a bag of recently purchased clothing and watched. She paid no attention to it. I then went outside and watched through a window. She stared at the door for a few moments then leapt up and started riffling though the bag. Being that not even drawers are safe anymore, she is either monitored or in the crate. Any tips?

How much exercise does she get? Perhaps she is bored and restless and could use some positive reinforcement.  I personally don't believe dogs are resentful and want to get back at us. More potty breaks, exercise and remove and secure everything you don't want her getting into. Good luck and keep us informed. I'm sure others will have great suggestions for you.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

3 hours ago, Glappy said:

She is confined to the basement/living room/bedroom (about 500sf).

Why??

It sounds like she's become comfortable in her home and her true personality is finally coming out.   It's a pretty common occurrence with adopted dogs.

She needs more daily exercise and more training to keep her mind active and her nose out of trouble.  Make your home - at least the area where she stays - more dog proof.  Pick things up, put them away, put locks on drawers and cabinets.  Those are things dog owners have to do with a smart, bored dog in the house.  They know when you're watching them and when you're not, and when they can do what they want and when they have to follow the rules.

And yes, crating when she can't be supervised is advisable, and better than letting her get into trouble.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't think shes under exercised. We do 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk in the morning, a few laps around the house at lunch, and 1/2 to 1 mile at night. If the evening walk isn't within an hr or two from bedtime, I'll take her out again. Once the fence is repaired, we'll see if that helps. She never seems restless tho.

She is very scent motivated. She behaves like a scent hound. Anytime we go out or bring something home, her nose is to the ground.

Agree…she’s bored! 
Maybe some puzzle toys? A great ball?  Snuffle mat? Kong filled with peanut butter? 
Perhaps she’d like to try some Nose Work classes? 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

If she's under 3 1/2-4 years old she's still basically a puppy in an adult dog's body, with all the energy and curiosity and stubbornness of a puppy left on her own.  And yes, she needs to be tired out more - not just her body, but her mind, as well.  Take an obedience class with her, get some food puzzles or other toys she has to work to solve, as mentioned above.  Right now she's using the drawers and parts of your house as her toys.  A tired puppy is a puppy that's asleep and not getting into trouble.

When you see her getting into trouble, redirect her to a more appropriate item to chew or play with.  Scolding and other forms of punishment rarely work with greyhounds.  You can look up behavioral shaping, clicker training, and positive reinforcement only training and begin to turn her into a solid citizen instead of just an annoying teenager.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly