Depression

I only work away from home once or twice a week but when I do our 1 1/2 year old grey just sleeps the whole day without eating/drinking water or going out to pee. She then doesn’t eat well for a couple of days after. There have been times when my husband and I go away for a weekend, leaving her with our son and she’s gotten so dehydrated from not eating/drinking that we had to take her to the vet. I’ve tried cbd oil, it seems to help when we’re at home (she also whines a lot) but I haven’t tried it when I’m gone. The vet has ruled out any physiological problem but I’m wondering if any other greys get this devastated staying alone.

a young should NOT be behaving like that. 

a couple of questions: how long have you had this pup?, why are you NOT using a crate- their comfortable safe place? why are you going away on weekends and not taking your dog? a kid- no matter how grown they are are not going to have the connection or dedication to be with a dog. they are in and out, a normal kid is out more than in. your dog feels abandoned.

stay away from CBD or other drugs, this dog needs to feel secure thru training and interaction. what's the normal routine when your home? exercise schedule etc. 

talk to your adoption group. this dog may need to be in a group setting. a young dog should be getting into trouble.

It's sounds like it's her individual version of separation anxiety.  Though I've never heard of this particular reaction before.  Most healthy dogs won't make themselves sick by not eating or drinking, but if she's under extreme stress it could manifest this way.  

I would not use CBD in this particular case.  Her anxiety isn't making her manic, causing her to be destructive and vocal, it's causing the opposite - she shuts down completely.  I would discuss with your vet (or preferably a certified animal behaviorist or canine neurologist) about using a different type of anti anxiety drug to help her.  You may need to try several before you discover the right one for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am sorry you are struggling with your pup. When you brought her to the vet did she get sub-q fluids for dehydration? Do you think a canine companion would help her, if that is possible for you? I hope you find a solution, please let us know how your progress comes along.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020