Handling and Touch Aggression

My wife and I have had our 5.5 year old Greyhound, Marty, for about a year and a half. He raced until he was about 4 years old. 
Since we adopted him, he's warmed up to us so much. We've worked through issues with food guarding and space aggression, and we've gotten really great at reading his body language and managing some of his quirks. 99% of the time, Marty is a dream - sweet, quiet, great with other dogs and doesn't cause any trouble. 

Unfortunately, he has real issues being touched or handled without his consent. This makes it nearly impossible to do certain necessary things for him; taking him to the vet and trimming his nails always result in snapping and attempted biting (thank god for muzzles). He really only trusts myself, my wife and our dog walker to touch or pet him regularly, so we always are sure to give lots of warning whenever he is meeting new humans. 

Has anyone here ever dealt with anything similar? We're in contact with some behaviorists, but was curious if any other Greyhound owners have ever experienced something like this. 

I think some of the problem is when he's touched by someone something is done to him which he doesn't like. Grace doesn't like her feet being touched which makes trimming her nails difficult. Luckily I have an understanding vet who will trim her nails while they are planted firmly on the floor. I have either been gently stroking her feet or holding them while she's been laying next to me on the sofa and after a year of doing that she'll now lift her front foot off the floor to let the vet trim her nails.

Just before you touch him try saying "friend" and then stroke him and if he doesn't snap give him a reward. When he's comfortable with that progress onto stroking him first then while you do that are get another person to stroke him and at the same time reward him. As soon as he shows discomfort stop.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Just remember he's not being really aggressive - true aggression is very rare in dogs - he's mostly anxious and scared, and letting you know in the only way he knows how.

He will probably benefit from some classic deconditioning techniques.  Keep some *very yummy* treats that he really responds to with you at all times.  Whenever you approach him, say his name to get his attention, immediately give him a treat, and a short, gentle pet on his body (NOT on his head).  Have any adult visitors to your house do the same thing, if they're willing to help you.  Actually, get anyone you can you do the same thing to show him that strangers aren't scary.  At other times, just ask people to ignore him unless he seeks out attention from them.

It will be safer for everyone if he wears his basket muzzle if he's out and about so there's no any danger of him biting or someone getting bitten.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly