Multiple broken nails in the last day

My retired racing greyhound (5.5 years old, retired for 1.5 years) has broken multiple nails off at the base on different feet in the last day. We're heading to the vet shortly.

I trimmed her nails with a dremel this weekend. They've gotten to be a good length since I adopted her, so aren't touching the ground anymore.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? Is it a common medical issue for the breed? Thank you!

Edited by greygardener
Added info on nail length

Sounds like SLO: Symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy

See here for a Facebook group that addresses this problem: https://www.facebook.com/groups/131575517003777

Also see: https://www.dvm360.com/view/pivotal-pedicure-understanding-slo

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It could have multiple causes but SLO was my first thought, also. Had a dog with it. Initially, all her nails came off over a fairly short snort of time. However, she was in pain during it, making it seem like a very long road. With meds for pain in the beginning & a treatment protocol for the long term, she actually did quite well despite the disease. 

Good luck & please update us after the very appt.

Thank you both for the responses! 

The vet agreed it's likely SLO, so we're starting with Doxycycline and Niacinamide and might add Steroids if needed. She's in a substantial amount of pain, so she also has pain meds. We're also dealing with excessive bleeding from the broken nails and are going to add Aminocaproic acid for clotting. 

It's been a very upsetting experience, so I'm glad to her your girl made a good (if long) recovery, kudzu. 

Will be honest. In the beginning, it was hard to imagine we were going to get through it. Those first weeks were the hardest and then it started to get better. It was several months overall before things were back to somewhat normal. Seemed like forever, but in the years afterwards things seemed to maintain an equilibrium. Venus was on tetracycline (doxy serves the same) and niacinamide.  At vet's suggestion, she also took vitamin E and high EPA fish oil. Not sure that's appropriate in your dog's case with the bleeding from the nails. Plus, that was a number of years ago and things may have moved on from those.

It is good you already had your girls nails back to a decent length. Does seem quite unfair that work is now falling out. I remember working on Venus's nails when some had grown back while others were still falling out. Was always worried I'd hurt her but as long as I wasn't pushing on one of the loose nails it was fine. Keeping the nails as short as possible helps reduce nail loss going forward. At least it helped my girl. Her nails stopped sloughing off, but she still occasionally lost one. Each time it was when I missed a nail trim. It seemed her nails were remained a little less well attached than before SLO. Loosing one or two nails a year seemed such a small thing. Hang in there.

Another good but long recovery in the past with that type of regimen.  Scout had it when I got him and it had been misdiagnosed as a fungal disease by his first family's vet.  Not much bleeding when I got him; don't know about when it first started.  Scout lost about a nail a year after it was under control.  The new nails always grew back gnarly.  Gentle hugs to your girl.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I also had a positive result with a similar treatment.  We ended up cycling her meds based on nail condition but keep her on Niacinamide and Snip Tips year round.  We noticed a pattern the second year so started the meds back before her usual flare up and it seemed to ended her flare ups and she did not lose any more nails.  I did some reading up on yeast sensitivity around the same time she was very lickie of her tummy and had some food issues.  She did well on a salmon sensitive digestion food.  Eventually stopped having issues for a few years before she passed last spring from cancer.