Bald patches and itching

I was expecting a baldy bum but my hound has lost all the under coat along her back. The skin underneath is dry, itchy and flaking but not red. Is this something to be concerned about?

I have started adding yuderm to her food (salmon and borrage oils) and am applying a hot spot spray to the worst areas (aloe vera and teatree). I'm also using a zoom groom twice a day. Is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable?

it takes at least 6 weeks for a coat to be repaired once you know the culprit. has your vet seen this condition?  there are so many things that can affect coat that an internet diagnosis is absurd. food, contact allergies, environmental allergies, just blowing coat(change of season), thyroid,  chemical burn from insecticide and so on- the list is as long as my arm. if not your vet then a dermatologist. 

gh have such thin delicate skin that not enough protein and fat in their diet their skin is affected. so, it can be simple, it can be complicated. good luck- btw tea tree is toxic to dogs.

It's spring and she has just come in from a cool kennel to a warm house so I think shedding is normal. I'm just not sure that she should lose so much. I wanted to ask here where people are familiar with the breed before putting her through the stress of a vets visit especially as hair loss can be stress related.

Also the hot spot spray is specifically for dogs so I think it should be ok for her. It does seem to be helping.

If you're using yuderm I guess you're in the UK. My vet recommended YuDERM moulting dog for Grace's coat to help rid her of flaky skin and help with her balding thighs. I also used ExmaRid deep cleansing dog shampoo to help with her itchy and flaky skin.

She now has not so bald thighs and a bit of dandruff during moulting.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Thanks for the shampoo tip, that did the trick. Daisy stopped scratching straight away and most of her coat has grown back in. She's still a bit sparse around the thighs but I think it will grow in. The vet also prescribed Apoquel but it violently disagreed with Daisys tummy and she was toileting blood every 2 hours day and night for a week. Gave me a proper scare! 

The vet is pushing me to swap Daisy to a soy based diet to rule out food allergies but her tummy is still delicate. While she's comfortable I don't see any reason to rush into another treatment so I'm just going to keep bathing her for the next month and see how she goes. 

18 hours ago, Onyfalk said:

She's still a bit sparse around the thighs but I think it will grow in.

That is a common greyhound trait and especially noticeable in black hounds. It is not usually a sign of allergies so I think you are right to just keep bathing her.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time