Waggy tail prevention

I'm in the process of hopefully adopting a 7-year-old male greyhound who's coming straight out of kennels. He seems to be a lovely, gentle boy, but he does have a very waggy tail. I found out about waggy tail issues earlier today, and am now trying to find out about ways to prevent him from hurting his tail on walls, doorframes, radiators, etc. Are there any behavioural tricks that work, or is it just something you need to keep an eye out for? What about if you leave them for an hour or two - is there a danger of coming back to a room sprayed with blood and a poorly hound in pain? 

We’ve adopted 6 greyhounds over the years and only 1 had a tail injury, but she hit it on a brick wall. Personally, I wouldn’t be too concerned about happy tail. Our greyhounds hit walls and door frames, but never hard enough for an injury.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

This is a great tutorial from Greyhound Crossroads regarding happy tail. http://www.greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.php?page=wrapping-happy-tail

Keep the items mentioned in your doggy first aid kit. I would not put them on as a preventive measure before an injury occurs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you, greytpups, that's really reassuring to hear. We already have a 9-year-old girl, but she doesn't have a particularly waggy tail, so we've not had to worry about happy tail with her. I must say, I got a bit worried about the possibility when the woman from the adoption charity mentioned it yesterday. On the flip side, I'm really pleased to see that he looks so happy in a home environment and around people in general. Our girl's always been timid around new people, and generally has her tail between her legs - so this is very different! ☺️

Thanks for the link, macoduck, I'll make a note of this link and will add these to the (long) list of items I'll need to buy if the adoption goes ahead.

Edited by Flosseroo

Only 1 injury here, too, in 20+ years and seven hounds.  Jeter has a classic helicopter tail, and it's extra-long.  And he's an exuberant guy.  "Wagging" seems too mild a word -- that energy could probably be harnessed to create an auxiliary electricity source.  

I put new hounds in a wire crate when I leave the house.  On Jeter's first day in the crate, I came home to a joyously happy dog and blood spraying all over the room.  The crate was put away and never used again.  It took almost a month of bandaging before the tail was healed.  Jeter creates his own symphony of sounds whirling that tail against various surfaces, but he's never (crossed fingers) had another tail injury.  

Hope the adoption comes to pass and that you'll enjoy having your own mobile percussion section.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter