What do you leave for your dog when you go out?

Hi all,

We have had our greyhound for around 2 months and she is struggling with being left home alone.

We have been slowly increasing the hours we leave but no matter what she still howls.  I leave her treats and a kong for her to eat and enjoy but she wont touch them until we are home. 

When she’s anxious she doesnt want anything to do with treats. Would love some recommendations for what we can leave for her to keep her occupied!

Thanks

Estelle

We leave a peanut butter kong and leave w/o saying goodbye or making a big deal.   He now loves his kong's and plays with them every evening.  He throws them in the air and I am worried he's going to break the TV one day.  We started by giving him these when we were home.

There is an I'll Be Home Soon book that someone smarter than me will recommend.  I own it but haven't needed it in 3 years.

You need a routine that's without fuss. I fill Grace's Kong with kibble and a plug of peanut butter whilst I'm getting her breakfast ready. When it's time for me to leave for work I get calmly ready (shoes, coat, keys etc.) without paying any attention to Grace, give her the ready preprepared Kong and say "See you later" and go.

You can try leaving the radio on tuned into a classical or talk station so there's hopefully no sudden loud noises and plug in an Adaptil pheromone diffuser.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time