This trial is being conducted to better characterize retinal degeneration syndrome in greyhounds with hopes of identifying the genetic components of this disease.

Understanding Retinal Degeneration In Greyhounds 

Particularly if you have a dog who is sired by Kiowa Mon Manny, whether they have been diagnosed with PRA or not.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 years later...

I know this is old, but I just wandered back to GreyTalk after a few years away so just saw it. Kiowa Mon Manny is my dog’s grandfather and my 4 yo pup (raced as Deal Master) has PRA. 😔 UCD was a bit unresponsive when I contacted them. Too bad as an answer to this devastating diagnosis would be nice. At the very least stop breeding his offspring. Maybe I should contact UCD again, esp since I have a grandson of the identified dog. 

Nate is part of that study, though it's been some years since I went through that process with UCD.  I did recently receive an email gently asking if I'd be willing to donate Nate's eyes to the study when he dies.  I think it might be worth the effort to contact them again.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 3 weeks later...

Eesh. My initial reaction was I wouldn’t really want to do that to my beautiful boy, but I’m an organ donor so why not? As long as UCD paid whatever additional cost. They need the gene info to develop treatment. They have it for… is it a papillon? Some small dog breed. But it is breed specific, unfortunately.