aggression towards other dogs/people

Ellen

Hi, me again

Only 2 weeks in, and a lot of tiny improvements already, actually managed to go to the loo on my own once without my shadow. 3 days ago I couldn't even twitch and he was up checking I wasn't leaving him.

Up till yesterday he was walking really well on the leash, though still quite nervous of  other dogs. I tend to get him to stay( with a treat) until the other dogs pass and give a lot of praise. Yesterday a large dog approached- not aggressively and  not too close and Ally immediately lunged and starting barking , he's also started to get  a bit antsy if other people pass to close-ears pricked up and straining on lead.- I don't know if he thinks he's protecting me.

When my husband takes him a walk on his own he doesn't behave like this and will occasionally sniff another dog

any advice gratefully received, 

Hi Ellen. For now, please keep a comfortable* distance away from other dogs. Try see things from your dog's point of view. He's displaying clear signs of being fearful in those situations around other dogs. Don't make your dog Stay in those intense or potentially intense and potentially dangerous situations. As far as barking and lunging is concerned, he's trying to protect himself. If he perceives a threat and has no avenue of escape (flight), then the aggressive display (fight) is an alternative behaviour. We can generally see oncoming walkers and dogs from hundreds of metres away. In my opinion, do your dog a favour and avoid any confrontation with dogs from the outset (for now). Alternatively when passing other dogs/walkers, walk with your dog on the safest side and walk forward with purpose, until you're well past. If the other dog is offleash and unrestrained, that's often another level of intensity altogether.

In short: dogs react when they are stressed and/or fearful. Peace. 

*comfortable is whatever distance your dog thinks is comfortable, and can remain unstressed. 

Thanks' for replying

Obviously  it made me anxious which will just compound the problem so will need to try and work on that.Think I will need to change my times of walks as well, as the're are a lot of professional dog walkers in our area with multiple dogs running loose especially 1st thing in the morning.

I know it's very early days, and when in the house he is very well behaved - so long as there are no dogs barking on the TV !

:colgate

Are you walking him tensed ready for when he sees another dog with a tight lead and your husband walks along without a care in the world with a slack lead?

If so you are signalling to him that something frightening is around and you need protecting. Your husband gives him the message he's in charge and all is well.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I think you're right. Something  must have spooked him yesterday with the other dog and since then both of us are more anxious,hopefully I'll improve . It doesn't help that there are a lot of boisterous dogs off lead where we stay