Limp, Partially Raw Pad, Possible Blood Blister

Guest bearomundi

Guest bearomundi
My five year-old hound Leni has been limping on her back right paw on occasion. Part of the pad looks to be a little raw (not the part that touches the ground when she walks) and she's had something that looks like a blood blister for awhile. Any ideas on what this could be and how I could help? Thanks!

Here is a link to some photos:

What surfaces does Lenin walk on? Medicated powder, ie goldbond or aamends to keep it dry will help speed up the healing. Haha....try to keep him from licking it. The powders taste pretty bad.

The scrape doesn't look bad to me. Sand to and raw pads from running at the beach can be much more raw.

Edited by cleptogrey

Hmmm, not sure what to make of that one! It doesnt look bad but must be tender if she limps. Have you tried any poly/neosporin? You could soak it in an warm epsom salt bath a couple times a day for a week and see how it improves. You can buy a paw balm, similar to what is used on sled dogs, to protect the feet. That's where i'd probably start and monitor from there. If it's recurring it, pay close attention to her foot placement on walks to try to figure out what is going on.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I'm in NYC so mostly pavement. I'll try Goldbond and a baby sock. Thanks!

watch out for the baby sock or an ointment. you want it to dry up. powder it a couple of times a day and watch your dog when home(haha) - NO LICK comment or use a muzzle (too hot for a poop guard, they need to breath and sweat). ointment will not work, might promote fungus infection. and yes, my dogs have had fungal infections- but this doesn't look like one.

if you decide to soak in epsom's salts, that will dry it up pretty quickly. make sure the paw does not stay moist. when totally dry dust w/ medicated powder. this should be healed very quickly. and it's hot out there on the roads and sidewalks. walkies need to be limited when the road temps are up. stay in the shade and bee line to the park(if you are near one).

Guest bearomundi

Great tips! Im very careful about hot sidewalks and we go to the park everyday so I dont think its that. I have Mushers wax from the winter so I will try that and these other suggestions. Much appreciated!

Is this Nora? Leni's mom? :) My boys had small scrapes like that. I usually put one of these balloon/rubber booties on their feet when we go on walks util it heals. Some streets have rough, uneven pavement and that I noticed can be more painful on pads then smooth pavement or grass, so they tend to limp on these more.

Edited by forevergrey

Guest bearomundi

Is this Nora? Leni's mom? :) My boys had small scrapes like that. I usually put one of these balloon/rubber booties on their feet when we go on walks util it heals. Some streets have rough, uneven pavement and that I noticed can be more painful on pads then smooth pavement or grass, so they tend to limp on these more.

Yes! Whos this? The limp is gone so thats good.