First Night Questions

cgs

Thanks, I hadn't thought about his behavior changing, but that's a good point. We do seem to be in a honeymoon period, but he's getting more comfortable. Of course, every day will be different I guess. Last night he got up for cheese (bought 2 new kids of treats today and he doesn't like either one) and he went right out and right down the steps...and then turned around and tried to come right back in. I couldn't get him to go potty, so I had to come in and get the leash (with him following) and then walk him around the yard until he peed.

This morning I woke up to a pee spot from our small dog (unusual, but not unheard of) and then stepped in a pile of poop in the house as I was getting Percy's food. It was Percy's poop and I have no idea when he did that. I keep an eye on him, but if he's lying quietly downstairs, I'll go upstairs to my computer. When I hear him get up and walk around, I go down and watch him. It had to have happened after I got his dinner last night, but he really was just lying quietly on his bed all evening. It's a mystery and I have a very sensitive nose, so I can't believe I didn't smell it. Not a good start to the day.

Today we'll try some alone training. He's ok by himself downstairs in the crate at night, and ok downstairs in his bed while I'm upstairs. He's not super keen on the crate, but I'll crate him and run a quick errand. I've already crated him and left the house in the car for around 5-10 minutes and he seemed fine.

He'll keep changing for a while. We're eight months in and we still see changes from week to week. And sometimes, it feels like for each three steps forward, there is a step back (and even more on occasion). I have come to understand that this is normal. I have been told multiple times that anything under a year is considered still settling in and that even after one year, they continue to change.

Cameron used to take a lot of time at night for the last pee. At first, I kept a treat with me and gave it to her as soon as she was done with her business (if you do this, you have to stay close to him to make sure he actually does his business). She doesn't need it anymore and now goes super fast at night. She knows if she wants to go back to bed (and get her peanut butter sandwich) quickly, she might as well pee right away.

I wouldn't worry too much about the poop. He is still very new and probably does not understand the concept of asking for the door. Even after eight months, Cameron can be very subtle about her need to go out. On the early days, it's a lot about anticipating their needs (hence the more frequent potty outings) and TONS of praise when they do their business outside (I have been known to almost do a happy dance when Cameron would go).

My :heart Cameron (WW's Bull Fight) - Gotcha day: June 28, 2017

Little rascal Pirate (the cat) who wants to play with Cameron, but from a safe place. :heart

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he doesn't change too much! He's very calm and sweet. But I am expecting worse behavior as he gets more comfortable. He is already resisting the crate. But yes, every day is a little bit different. On day 2 we noticed he was wagging his tail for the first time. Now he wags more. This morning after I let him out to pee, he bounded around the yard. He'd never done that before. He seems pretty smart. He learned quickly to stay away from the trash. I haven't had as much luck with the kitchen counters. He doesn't get anything, but he noses around. He learned very quickly to give our little dog her space. She just looks at him a certain way and he goes in the other directly, lol. She was eating and he wanted to just sniff, but she looked at him when he was still 3 feet away and he turned around. He knows to go to the back door to go out and to the front door to ask for a walk (which he gets when I decide, not him.)

Everything is going really well. But this morning I heard him whining around 6am. He sleeps in a crate in the living room and we're upstairs. I thought he was probably scared of the sound of the wind, since we're having really high winds. I ignored him for about 10 minutes, but then went downstairs. He'd pooped in the crate. He had pooped last night before bed. Then, while I was cleaning up, he came over to me kind of dry heaving. Nothing came up at first but a few minutes later he barfed. In the barf was a small leaf, which I think is from an inside plant. We have 3 plants and I know what 2 of them are, but don't know what kind this one is because it came from my husband's office, but it's a common houseplant that's viney.

I don't know if the poop in the crate and the barf are related. Any suggestions for what to to tonight? I'm wondering if I should sleep on the couch again so I can take him out if he needs to go.

I also put white rice in his food last night to try to firm up his poop. Could rice have made things worse? I gave him more this morning so we'll see how he does.

Other than this, he's been doing really well and this isn't his fault. He's really good about going to the door when he needs to go out. (The whining in the crate is the first vocalizing I've heard from him. ) He's been learning fast. Learned to leave the trash alone the first day. He's getting better about not nosing at the counter while I'm making dinner. He's starting to do better with the stairs. He's even been conveniently pooping near public trash cans on walks. :)

Just an FYI from my experience, when you do your first vet visit bring a fecal sample and have it tested for hookworms, parasites etc. We got our grey in late October and he is just now free of hookworms.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with an easy-going dog.

Yeah, he's going Thursday and they said to bring a sample. So gross, but I'll do it. Hopefully he'll poop in the morning that day.

He's been resting comfortably, so I think he's ok. I think he only got a very small bit of the plant--I can see the bite mark on the leaf--and he barfed it up.

I'm guessing pooping in the crate was just related to either diarrhea--he's had loose poop, but it was controlled--and/or being scared of the wind. My daughter said she heard him around 4:30am, which would have been shortly after my husband left for work. Husband said he didn't hear anything. So I think he pooped in the crate sometime between 4:30 and 6am.

It's so windy today--gusts over 60mph. Not sure about waking him, at least not very far.

Rice is fabulous. Use it at will. Pooping in the crate is odd though, they will only usually do that if they are desperate. Take in a fecal sample. Watch out for houseplants, some are poisonous to dogs.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yeah, the rescue lady told me someone recently returned a dog because he was pooping in the crate. She thought they weren't taking him out enough. I do think he was desperate. He pooped in the house once, but I really don't know when he did that. I leave him downstairs while I'm upstairs, but if I hear him start walking around, I go down. Anyway, I don't know if he was just scared by the wind (though he hasn't seemed bothered by it throughout the day today, but it was dark, first really windy night, and he was alone) or if it was the little piece of plant upsetting his tummy, or just general diarrhea that he couldn't hold in. I feel bad because he did whine around 4:30am, but I didn't hear him. I may go back to sleeping on the couch for a couple nights.

He pooped in the yard this morning and that's been all. He ate (more rice and kibble) and no more since then, even on a walk. So we'll see what comes out later and how firm it is! I just got some of that dehydrated carrot stuff that people here recommend. After him having to be in the crate with poop, I'm not sure how I'll get him back in there today or tonight. He was already so reluctant to go in last night. He hung his head down and leaned it against my leg. So pitiful. I tried to get him to come upstairs where he could sleep in our room, but he wouldn't go.

He's still new and is figuring stuff out and you are the only support he's got. Be patient. :) it's a rewarding road to be on. Only you will know when he's ok to no longer be crated, but IMO it creates a great set of rules and boundaries when they first arrive home.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015