Help! My Greyhound Has Checked Out!

Guest Amilapeaches

Guest Amilapeaches

Help! Ive had my retired racer for 3 years now and this winter I really think she might have the winter blues. Doesnt come to us for cuddles/ doesnt want to eat unless I put stinky tuna in with her food/ no interest in engaging with us. All she does is lay on her bed and sleep. When we leave home, she shakes like she is scared. She never had separation anxiety before... we live in Wisconsin so getting her out for fresh air is hard this time of year.

I am 8 months pregnant too- could she be picking up on my hormones? I havent been treating her differently I dont think. She is just SO pathetic. Ive put her on a doggie anti depressant which doesnt seem to help. Anyone have a similar experience? She was great the first 2 years we had her, now I dont think she likes us anymore and would do better in a different home 😓

Get her to the vet a.s.a.p. This radical change in behavior is concerning. Dog's do not suddenly stop liking their owners. First thing that comes to mind is thyroid issues. Strongly suggest a full veterinary work-up. Wishing you and your girl all the best.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Definitely take her to the vet asap. Blood tests and full thyroid function, as already suggested.

The shaking when you leave could be her losing her ability to continue to disguise some kind of pain which may be as simple as teeth.

Immediately ensure that she is warm and comfortable and that you are not excluding her.

Definitely check out every medical option first, but I'm going to suggest that it may be at least partly behavioral.

You're pregnant, and you're really excited about that, I expect. Making plans for the baby, setting up a new space in the house - things are changing and she doesn't really understand why, so she's anxious. And she could be a bit shut down about it, some dogs do that the same as people. It's really important that her schedule is as regular as possible, and that you're making time to spend with her, even if it's just sitting in a room reading or taking a nap together. You and your husband need to do whatever you can to stay connected and bonded to her through this next period of time as things change even more. She's going to need all the patience you can spare.

The anti anxiety med is probably a good idea, just be aware that not every drug will work the same with every dog, and it usually requires a bit of trial and error to find the one that works for *your* dog and her unique physical needs. She may need a different dose of the one you're giving her, or a different drug all together. I would also get some DAP diffusers to set up around the house, and keep them going after the baby comes home.

Congratulations and good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Amilapeaches

Thank you everyone! I will be doing blood work on her this next week just to make sure. Shes never been the most affectionate dog but Im hoping to pick up some diffusers to help her. I crawl on the floor with her to let her know I still care and I think she likes it. Shes started to spend the day in our closet instead of the living room while we are away- Im thinking to smell us more? I gave her some of my pajamas to sleep with at night...

Shes eating fine, urinating fine, bowel movements are normal... she just seems like shes gone off the deep end! Ive also heard the anti depressants can make things worse, thinking about stopping them altogether to see if she seems better...

Don't stop them abruptly. Most need to be tapered off. Talk with your vet first. ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly