Newly Adopted Won't Go Outside

Guest SeeMoreGreys

Guest SeeMoreGreys

We adopted a lovely boy, Archer, a week ago. For the most part, he's adjusting quite well for a very timid guy. He's learned how to do the stairs inside, he's eating and drinking regularly now and he's even stopped running away from the cats.

But for the life of us, we cannot get him to go outside easily. And once we do get him outside, he statues or pulls because he wants to go in a different direction, including the middle of the street. Finally once he does actually do his business we can't get him to go back inside. It's a little better with just me rather than my husband but it's still extremely difficult. We've tried letting him tell us when he wants to go out, tons of praise, high value treats, letting him walk for hours, only taking him in small manageable spaces, feeding him before he goes out, feeding him after he goes out, giving him something he loves when he comes in, all of which don't yield results.

Today I waited him out for 40 minutes until he decided to go outside and once we were out it took 3 full hours to get him back in. I don't want to push him or pull him but he statues or pulls in a different direction, even if it's not safe (I will push or pull him to safety) and then I can't get him to move in any direction. He doesn't potty in the house, he'll hold it, which is also not good for him!

I know it's very early yet, but I don't want him to be afraid of going to the bathroom. I think he may just be really over stimulated at the moment. Any advice?

Other info-

-There are 3 small steps down from our house to get to the yard.

-He's not our first grey but right now he's our only one and we cannot adopt a second at the moment

-He's also afraid of other dogs and people

A week is an infinitesimally short time. Time and patience, my friend...time and patience and a bunch of treats! When he statues, either gently tug him until he moves or turn around and go in the opposite direction or in a circle. That will usually break the "trance" and get them going again. Your use of praise and treats is great, however, one week is not nearly enough time for Archer to "get it". It took me 3 months to finally get my Lola to understand that the yard was safe and that was where she had to potty. During those 3 months, cheddar cheese cubes became my best friend! I'd toss them out the door to get her outside and give her a handful as soon as she finished her business.

I'm no expert, but I think that walking him for long periods of time may be counterproductive. He'll become accustomed to the never-ending walk. Maybe shorter, more frequent outings? Especially after a meal?

He may be picking up on your anxiety. Take him out for, say 1/2 hour, no fuss, no muss, and bring him back in. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck! Enjoy your boy.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yep, dogs pick up on anxiety. LaFlaca gave great advice. Shorter, relaxed walks and tons of love and patience.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Please use a harness instead of his collar so you don't strain his neck when you are moving him around.

And yes...lots of yummy stinky treats!

And yup....more time is needed for him to understand life outside the kennel, as well as bonding time with both of you.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest SeeMoreGreys

Thank you all! I think it helps knowing others have had this difficulty.

You think I should take him out for a half hour and bring him back in even if hes not done his business? And how long to wait for him to come up the few stairs before helping him up?

We definitely do use his harness to protect his neck too, thank you for mentioning that!

You think I should take him out for a half hour and bring him back in even if hes not done his business? And how long to wait for him to come up the few stairs before helping him up?

Yes, take him out, give him 1/2 hour (or however long you decide) to do his business. Bring him back in whether he performs or not. Try again maybe an hour later and so forth.

Same thing with mealtime; I've always given my dogs 1/2 hour to eat. If they have not eaten by the end of that time, the food is put away or thrown out.

Don't help him up the stairs. He doesn't need help he needs to learn how to navigate steps. Have you tried putting high value treats on the steps to coax him up and down? Another way is to walk briskly towards the steps urging him on in a super-happy, high pitched voice and just go up (or down) before he's had a chance to think about it. He's harnessed when you do this, of course.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Can you borrow another Greyhound for a week or two? If you are short on Greyhound experience it might be tough to get someone to let you borrow their's. Perhaps another dog can come with their owner for walk time to help establish desirable behaviors. (I assume Archer is an only dog).

I had an Archer once. He was the opposite of yours - a fire breathing dragon would be the best way to describe him.

Thank you LaFlaca :) I almost feel like the steps are a big part of the issue. Im going to try that and get back to you!

No worries! Glad to help. :) Another, thought...work on one issue at a time so Archer won't be more overwhelmed than he already is. He's like an alien that has landed on a strange, new planet where the inhabitants, language, customs, even the sights and smells are very different from what he has been used to. Poor baby must be so confused and maybe even frightened. He must first learn to trust you and his surroundings. Once that happens, his brain will become calm enough to be able to learn. Right now, it's too busy processing all the new data that's bombarding it.

Seeing something familiar (e.g., another greyhound) would probably help ease any fear that you're sensing ... doggy playdates or even a meet & greet would serve pretty well if you don't have someone in your adoption group who can stop by with one of their hounds for a cup of coffee.

Guest SeeMoreGreys

Thank you All! Hes really done amazingly well in the short week hes been here. He has figured out so much, Im confident he can do this too. Its probably just sensory overload.

Ive had timid greys before but Ive never encountered this level of fear/avoidance. I will see if there are others in our area that can come over and help. If anyone is in MA please let me know!

And I think right now Archers name is a bit of an oxymoron ;)