Uk People - Best Food

Hi there

We came home with a bag of Arkwright's food from the rescue centre which we started feeding our hound which our trainer told me was really poor quality. We were then given a bag of Skinners Field and Trial food. This has suited her better and her poohs have been much better. Shall I keep going with the Field and Trial (even though she's never?!) - we're coming to the end of the bag now.

Thanks a lot

I would stick with what's working for you - if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.

People get very passionate about dog food but no one food will suit every dog.

Should you ever want to try something else, Ken does well on this one, devised for and by the Retired Greyhound Trust: https://www.dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk/dog-food/pet-greyhound

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

You can look on the all-about dog food UK site and pick the most wonderful 5* foods, but your dog probably won't need the ultra expensive high proteinn levels. My last dog did really well on a mid range kibble from James Wellbeloved (the lamb and rice or turkey and rice). Peggy, my current dog, unfortunately is one of those with a very sensitive stomach and actually needs better quality foods. I feed Barking Heads 'Golden Oldies' now and add as a treat a handful or two of the expensive Canagan 'Country Game' kibble and either top it with real low-fat mince or skinless chicken thighs when the supermarket wants to get rid of it. Forthglade's plastic trays of cooked meats are good to use as a topping. I can make one last 3 days.

Essentially though if it works (firm poops, happy dog keen on exercise, cleans the bowl in one go, no nasty gas) then don't change it.

There is no blame in being a 'dog-food-crusader' and selecting one of the super-ethical foods, but it will do more for you emotionally and socially than it will for the dog.

Glad to hear other greys on Field and Trial. Also yes to the firm poops, happy dog keen on exercise, cleans the bowl in one go, no nasty gas. Her coat is also looking well improved since we had her but that maybe down to the sprats that she's getting as treats and the mackerel she gets on top of the kibble once or twice a week.

Perfect, we'll stick to what we've got then :)

Thank you very much!

But this: There is no blame in being a 'dog-food-crusader' and selecting one of the super-ethical foods, but it will do more for you emotionally and socially than it will for the dog.

Where are the super-ethical foods? And yes, that would definitely be for me not the dog!

Where are the super-ethical foods? And yes, that would definitely be for me not the dog!>>

Sustainably-produced high-end of the market kibbles, with all the most trendy veggies and herbs included. And if you feed RAW it would have to be organic raw. And wild fish, not farmed fish which eat bags of cattle-food style concentrate which are dumped on them in their pens in the sea lochs. Most of the 5* kibbles on that list are at premium prices because they know that's what a lot of people are looking for. Maybe I'm being mean about the prices... you generally need to feed about half of the weight you would using the cheap foods. If you buy cans it will be about 80 water too.

Just stick with what works until it doesn't, or until there is a recall.