Hookworms & Yard Cleanup

Hi everyone! I didn't want to hijack the other worm thread, but do apologize for another wormy discussion!

I just adopted my newest 2 greys last Saturday, and one of them has confirmed hookworms (I found a note in her records that she had them back in Nov2016, so clearly they weren't erradicated).

Both hounds are now dosed with Drontal Plus, but since I was unaware of the issue, I only picked up the yard twice in the last week.

Can anyone help me understand how bad my risk is for having contaminated the soil? I often have visitors, and wanted to know if I need to quarantine the yard for the next few months.

sigh.

thanks!

When we had a dog with hooks, we were told to pick up immediately (which we always do anyway) and spray the area with a water and bleach mixture. If anything, I would start doing that. Spray the areas where you picked up poop. Better late than never.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

If one dog has hooks, they are now in your yard. I'm not sure how quickly they infest an area, but it's better just to figure that you do and handle dogs and visitors accordingly.

Pick up immediately or at least every day. It's also best to not let them eat grass or dirt - muzzles with stool guard cups if they are grazers. You don't want the dogs playing without muzzles anyway!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly